Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! EJ22 SOHC dual port exhaust egr tapping?

I just do a rough depth check with the depth end of a cheap digital caliper and then put a piece of tape around my drill bit to get proper depth.

I burnish the inside of the hole a bit by installing the EGR pipe and then rotating it's bubble flare in the hole while putting pressure on it with a wrench on the threads. Just to insure a good seal.

GD

I've drilled and tapped quite a few of these.

First you drill through to the exhaust port with a 1/4" bit.

Then you measure the depth of an existing port (another head or a manifold port) and mark this depth on a 9/16" bit (IIRC) and drill to that depth. This is the critical operation that must be done to the right depth to avoid the water jacket.

Then you tap the hole with an M16 x 1.5 tap.

It's not that hard to do if you take your time. One of my engine suppliers will do it prior to shipping if you need EGR on one of their JDM engines.

GD

What years did you do? And do you have pics because there is noway after looking at them closely you can drill and tap the egr port on 90-94 EJ22 (AMERICAN) dual port sohc heads. I didn't even drill into the exhaust port because i found the water jacket. And theres clearly noway it could be done.

I probably have not done any 90 to 94 engines. It's rare that I use one of those for a swap since the availability is poor. Typically I'm buying 95 to 98 engines and often I have to use a manual transmission engine or a JDM engine if that's what I can get at the time. Having done over two dozen 2.5 to 2.2 swaps I've had to tap the EGR ports about half a dozen times and find a matching manifold. I haven't run into one yet that I wasn't able to drill/tap but it's possible they exist.

If I had that problem I would just put a JIC bung in the exhaust header and weld a stainless flex line to the EGR tube coming off the manifold. That's how a lot of manufactures (Nissan for example) do it from the factory anyway. Where there's a will there's a way.

GD

I probably have not done any 90 to 94 engines. It's rare that I use one of those for a swap since the availability is poor. Typically I'm buying 95 to 98 engines and often I have to use a manual transmission engine or a JDM engine if that's what I can get at the time. Having done over two dozen 2.5 to 2.2 swaps I've had to tap the EGR ports about half a dozen times and find a matching manifold. I haven't run into one yet that I wasn't able to drill/tap but it's possible they exist.

If I had that problem I would just put a JIC bung in the exhaust header and weld a stainless flex line to the EGR tube coming off the manifold. That's how a lot of manufactures (Nissan for example) do it from the factory anyway. Where there's a will there's a way.

GD

Going off subject what headgasket did you use for your frankenmotor with Delta cams? Did you by chance see how much valve clearance you had? Also you use stock valve springs or aftermarket? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't address the issue if you wanted to use an EJ22 w/a non-EGR intake manifold (IM), but changing the intake manifold isn't that tough, esp. w/the engine out.

I found 2 fittings @ the ACE hardware store that fit together. I believe it's 3/4 that screws into the EGR valve on the IM, then a 1/4 barbed fitting. Put some thread tape on to seal it...it screwed in tight w/out any issues:

IMG_1059%2520%2528Custom%2529.JPG

And installed:

IMG_1102%2520%2528Custom%2529.JPG

I used the IAC hose as the source for the EGR. So far, I've not had a CEL and car runs the same as before. (Don't use the breather hoses as you'll have blue smoke out the tailpipe! :rolleyes: )

IMG_1101%2520%2528Custom%2529.JPG

IMG_1099%2520%2528Custom%2529.JPG

Thanks again for the input from everyone on here and to 987687 for the idea.

Td

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

What years did you do? And do you have pics because there is noway after looking at them closely you can drill and tap the egr port on 90-94 EJ22 (AMERICAN) dual port sohc heads. I didn't even drill into the exhaust port because i found the water jacket. And theres clearly noway it could be done.

I can confirm this too.

There is a blank "button" were the EGR pipe would go......but it is flat.........no hole in the center like EJ25 and 95+ EJ22 heads.

The 90-94 heads just don't have the same inner shape to the water jacket to allow for threading. They cannot be tapped for EGR any way that I can see.

The later heads have a depression in that button, start of the inner hole.....these CAN be tapped for EGR.

Did roughly the same as wtdash but used the original pipe cut in half.  Put the tube end into the EGR,  Then used a spare brake master vacuum hose to go over to the IAC hose with a plastic tee and barbed fitting from Ace.  I've done it on two cars and it works great, no CEL.  

Edited by lmdew