Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPG lost due to snow tires

RXJ

double check your air pressures, and make sure the sizes are appropriate and you shouldnt have problems. Like said above there are much larger hits to mileage than the tires (unless you talking 33's or something). cant see much more than 1-2 mpg from the tires alone, and I doubt you will see any change.

if you have a carbed car, retuning it might help a bit, but generally its driving style, fuel addatives, and extra use of 4wd rather than tires.

not much. winter driving also means letting the car warm up while you deice, driving different due to road conditions, thicker oil, cooler/denser air, worse gas blends...there are so many variables i don't know that it's much of a practical hit that you'll notice, i never have.

if you're that worried about it then get a thinner tire to compensate a bit.

thanks all for chiming in....been trying to get a grip on my MPG issues / trying to pin my poor fuel economy on snow tires

93 loyale 5 speed ea82

I've yet to break 29.5 miles per gal during summer and those are highway miles

Just checked recently after a 150 mile highway ride, and got 25.5 mpg....if the rest of that tank is finished off with around town driving, i'm get @ 22 mpg......some days i "feel" like i'm only getting 20 mpg watching the gas gauge..the gauge I think is getting wonky....

Some of the mpg posted here leave me envious and wondering what I can do, or what I did wrong....I know this has been hashed forever (prob)

those are good numbers, I wouldnt worry about it unless there is other signs of problems.

MPG numbers are vary a lot depending on the person. 29-30 mpg highway is very good for one of these cars. im sure some people have gotten more than that at times, but its going to take work, money, or attention to driving style to achieve it regularly.

mpg is very dependant on conditions. getting gas at different pumps, wind, road condition, elevation, etc all play a part. someone may have a perfect storm in their area and get 32 highway regularly, but we dont live there.

if you get a change from winter tires check the diameter, it will throw off your odometer a little and you have to math it out to get a real reading. Its something you should do anyway, just reset the trip counter when you pass a mile marker and see where it is at the next one. the % of difference will tell you how far off your mileage is. if its 25 average or close to 30 highway Id say its normal and other than watching your driving style or getting a tune up theres nothing wrong. 22 is a little low, something might be off, but it still could easily just be conditions. make sure your averageing multiple tanks from the same station so your readings are accurate

Edited by djellum

I remember getting around 30-31mpg with my EA82T wagon in winter. Altought you have to remember that the engine was once again the european version boosting 100kW in it. But the three turbo EA82 cars that I've owned it's been always around 29-31mpg on highway at winter time. Did not really have big differencesbetween winter and summer times since the tires was same size. Ofcourse there was a big difference in city driving mpg in winter since it takes longer to the engine get warm.