Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommended engine builder.

They are just buying new OEM shortblocks. The wholesale price for which is less than $2k. You can easily have those single cam heads completely rebuilt for less than $500 and there's not anywhere near $1400 in gaskets, timing components, oil pump, and labor to bolt on the heads and palletize it there. That's pretty much a huge rip-off.

GD

I want one of these. I have heads ready to drop on. Anyone know where or how to get one at this price?

• 3 weeks later...

ok...ive read all posts here...im getting ready to purchase 1 of their 2.2 rebuilt longblocks for $1700 core/shipping = $2000... or ...

who has a low mile 2.2 on here for an awesome price...

they do warranty theirs for 3yr/60k mi too...

looking for my best deal for my baby 93 legacy ls 2.2 auto awd optioned out

i miss driving her!!!

Thanks in advance for responses Tom :clap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-2-2-2-5-Rebuilt-Engine-Warranty

their posting on ebay

funny...zero...,,,

everyone does not have gobbss of time to do this ..but i do have time to r&r....if u have 1 let me know or keep ur 2 sents to urslf :horse: thanks

It only takes about a day to build an engine once you have all of the parts. I've done about 7 now, and my very first one is coming up on 25k uneventful miles.

Just saying, you could save a few thousand by building it yourself.

Otherwise, I have a 190k mile resealed 2.2 longblock for $1000+ freight with new HGs and such.

It only takes about a day to build an engine once you have all of the parts. I've done about 7 now, and my very first one is coming up on 25k uneventful miles.

Just saying, you could save a few thousand by building it yourself.

Otherwise, I have a 190k mile resealed 2.2 longblock for $1000+ freight with new HGs and such.

lets see...with that math...

....if i could save a few thousand it would be free...right???

unless u would Give me all the New parts to rebuild mine... ??!!! :grin:

&... did ur 1st 1 have 190k to start with???:-\

anyhoo... 1k for a 190k shortblock w/ hg's & seals doesnt sound like the deal im lookin for...& no warranty...:banghead:

Thanx.......

2.2's aren't worth rebuilding - period. End of story.

Definitely throwing away money buying a $1700 engine for a '93.... That's worth about $1700 on the open market. At 190k miles the car is nearing the end of its life and a $500 used engine with 150k on it will work out just fine till the car reaches end-of-life at about 350k.

I do this every day - 7 days a week. There is just no justification for what you propose. It's a waste of money to spend more on a single component than the car is worth - especially when there are reasonable, prudent, and cost effective options that will not total the car out from a cost perspective.

GD

2.2's aren't worth rebuilding - period. End of story.

Definitely throwing away money buying a $1700 engine for a '93.... That's worth about $1700 on the open market. At 190k miles the car is nearing the end of its life and a $500 used engine with 150k on it will work out just fine till the car reaches end-of-life at about 350k.

I do this every day - 7 days a week. There is just no justification for what you propose. It's a waste of money to spend more on a single component than the car is worth - especially when there are reasonable, prudent, and cost effective options that will not total the car out from a cost perspective.

GD

sooo..is it 190k or 350k as far as life goes...???...!!!!

1st..u need to read more thoroughly...i never stated what mileage is on my legacy..its 130k..has NO Rust...perfect paint/leather interior & fully loaded with all options including hyd suspension that works perfectly as everything else does except engine... everyone has their own perspective..ive had over 400 vehicles in my time & 4 dozen subarus... 9 days a week.. i dont care about what 1 person may justify and another will not.. i also dont care what the value is ...i enjoyed this car & will continue to...running or not..& it will be running again shortly..i also want the assurance of having a reconditioned engine..

not some $500 engine that might puke in a week..also dont care about reasonable/prudent/effective bs perspectives,, enuff said..geez:horse:

oh...& additionally...iwas offered 2k for the car in its present state ..:grin:

anywaayyy..if someone does have a low mi engine ring me up....tanks..:-p

If you don't like the answers you get around here - then cease asking us questions. Since you have all the answers and seem to know what the best course of action is - you don't need us or this forum. Totally fine by me. You haven't contributed in the least yet I and others have given you sage advice. You deem it worthless and wish to pi$$ away your money. That's cool - doesn't concern me one little bit. I'll just be over in my corner of the world making money and having lots and lots of satisfied customers. :-p

GD

http://www.car-parts.com for engines.

it seems you favor rebuilt and warranty over experience. this is a forum well versed in Subaru's that know how to get inexpensive, reliable, high mileages out of them...But if you don't have any value in that or want to listen to folks with vast experience, then new or used from the site above sounds like a good fit for you, no need to be here at all.

If you want a motor - post in the parts wanted forum of this site, don't ask in this thread, that's not very effective, you might as well post a sign in the local elementary school bathroom looking for an engine. no one selling an engine is going to see this thread except by random chance, which may be how you prefer to operate.

essentially you're trusting experience - in rebuilds and warranties rather than here. I prefer the later, you prefer the former. no big deal or need to flame those with experience. if folks replied to you the way you're replying I'm inclined to think you'd get fired up fairly quickly. no one here is condescending, using bold, exercising the smilies.

i built 3 engines thiss week a 2.51 2.5d and a 2.2 and sadly the 2.2 is the first to sell because it gos for cheaper with more reliability the other two have cars sitting waiting for motors. The glue dosent even have time to dry and they are gone. I have been trying to rebuild two engines a week ontop of my regular subaru repair work and endless line of headgasket jobs. Any rebuilt subaru motor is valubble up here anyway there is way more dead engines than good ones

lets see...with that math...

....if i could save a few thousand it would be free...right???

unless u would Give me all the New parts to rebuild mine... ??!!! :grin:

&... did ur 1st 1 have 190k to start with???:-\

anyhoo... 1k for a 190k shortblock w/ hg's & seals doesnt sound like the deal im lookin for...& no warranty...:banghead:

Thanx.......

For a second I got your post count and age mized up and thought you were 13 years old. At least that's the impression I get from your posts.

A completely gone through and resealed 96 longblock with new WP/timing belt/idlers/tensioner, valves adjusted, and HGs done right is worth $1000 ALLLLLLLLL DAY. Since you clearly don't possess either the skill set or the time to do it yourself, I figured I would offer it to you, but instead I sold it local for $1800 installed and getting to keep his old engine for a core. Snooze you lose.

If you want to have a wongleflute attitude and not take any advice, I'd recommend you head on over to NASIOC and post your questions there. They're a lot friendlier to inexperienced noobs with a chip on their shoulder.

:Flame:

i built 3 engines thiss week a 2.51 2.5d and a 2.2 and sadly the 2.2 is the first to sell because it gos for cheaper with more reliability the other two have cars sitting waiting for motors. The glue dosent even have time to dry and they are gone. I have been trying to rebuild two engines a week ontop of my regular subaru repair work and endless line of headgasket jobs. Any rebuilt subaru motor is valubble up here anyway there is way more dead engines than good ones

After my experience with 2.5's and 2.2's I've come to the conclusion the Subaru 2.5 bottom end is not strong enough for the abuse and neglect typically levelled at it by the average owner, and that engines that need top-end rebuilds just as likely need new bottom ends as well. I've never had a headgasket fail, but I have had 3 bottom ends on used engines pound themselves into bits or nearly so.

After my experience with 2.5's and 2.2's I've come to the conclusion the Subaru 2.5 bottom end is not strong enough for the abuse and neglect typically levelled at it by the average owner, and that engines that need top-end rebuilds just as likely need new bottom ends as well. I've never had a headgasket fail, but I have had 3 bottom ends on used engines pound themselves into bits or nearly so.

You should see how bloody hard I flog my 25D bottom end under 2.2 heads. Fuel cut kicks in at 6k rpm... Just saying.

But I agree, They're lame stock. I balanced mine and am running tri metal rod bearings that should be slightly more reliable than the stockers that went kaboom.

i run the crap outa my 2.5s but i run the thickest oil i can find. In my work any 2.5 engine i see with bottom end problems is ether run low on oil or overheated. they do have bad rod angles that wears the berrings.Reberringed they are fine for 200000km easy. Have many of my 2.5 rebiulds with over 100000 kms on the or more and of the 200 2.5s i rebiult non have broken yet some have outlasted the cars