Ultimate Subaru Message Board

baja power steering help

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any diffrence between the power steering pump on a 2004 turbo and a non turbo

I ask because i can find a powersteering pump for a non turbo but I need one for my turbo baja. is there any other car that would take the same pump I have called all around trying to find a pump the only place that has one is the dealer and they want 500 bucks ouch! napa has one for a non turbo and its 120 but i dont know if it would fit does any one know thnx

Why do you need a steering pump? If its just leaking these pumps are very easy to rebuild and seal kits are only about $40 from Subaru last time I checked. A new front bearing you can get at Napa for under $10. Rebuilding only requires basic hand tools a block of wood and a vice.

Why do you need a steering pump? If its just leaking these pumps are very easy to rebuild and seal kits are only about $40 from Subaru last time I checked. A new front bearing you can get at Napa for under $10. Rebuilding only requires basic hand tools a block of wood and a vice.

good question

tell us the symptoms you had as there are a coupla other fixes for noisy PS pump. (o-rings, TSB for relief valve)

well the car started wining as soon as it got cold out side sounded like it was low on oil but its full and not it barely works its in the teens out side and when you look in the reservoir the fluid is all foam maybe i should use atf instead of ps fluid. I dont know anyway the reason i need a new one is because i didnt know you could rebuild them

but Im down to try do you have to press any thing off or is it pretty easy to take apart thanks for the info guys

Ive heard of this before, there are a couple threads about this kind of problem on the board here. There is an Oring on pump that can dry out and allow air into the pump. This causes the foaming and susbsequent noise. It was either the side fitting or the o ring between the pump and reservoir, I don't recall exactly. I don't think you have to do a full rebuild to fix it. You can get the reservoir and side fitting o rings separate from the rebuild kit. Let me see if I can find one of those threads.

oh really that would make sense it used to wine like a pig when i first started it up and would shut up after the car warmed up then one day i popped the hood and jiggled the hoses around and it quit wining now it only wines when i turn

if it wasnt snowing i would tare it apart but i dont wanna in the snow ill just drive the wife's car till the weekend

here's my story;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/40884-how-does-air-get-into-power-steering-system.html

since then, I have had no problems. You should be aware there is also a TSB concerning the pressure relief valve in the side of the pump (maybe H6 engines ??? not sure) that can cause groaning but it seems the symptom is groaning at full lock.

bubbles/foam is no good.

anyway, fix the o-ring, put screw-type hose clamps on both ends of the suction hose after inspecting it for cracks. repalce as much old ps fluid as possible with Dex III compatible fluid.

alright i wasnt going to but know that you say so i will go to the dealer tomorrow and pick up factory hoses wile were on the subject of hoses

are the silicon intercooler hoses better than the stock rubber ones or do they just look cool just wondering mine are starting to get little cracks on them so they will need replacing soon trying to decide witch to buy :banana:

Silicone hoses are a HUGE win on the turbos. They don't deteriorate like the factory rubber. Do your homework and don't buy the cheapest ones though as they tend to fit poorly. Especially if you are talking about the turbo inlet that runs under the manifold. Not an easy part to replace and trust me the cheap ones fit very poorly. So poorly that you won't even be able to find all the leaks without a smoke test. Last cheap one I installed had three leaks on the first smoke test. Hours later it got sealed up but the frustration level on those is unbelievable.

GD