Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow!

Gloyale

Well, kinda.

I'm sure this doesn't hold a candle to Colorado or even the Oregon Cascades......But for the Oregon coast this was ALOT. I say was, because as I write this, much of it has melted already.

This is the road to the top of Mary's Peak....tallest mountain in the Coast range. 4100ft. or so (road only goes up to 3770ft)

Took my "street" '86 wagon with the snow tires, as opposed to my lifted '84 with mud tires and true Chain Chains.

It was about all the 86 could handle. After a certain point, the body was dragging quite a lot. I didn't air down....Should have. All in all I'd say I faired better than most of the Jeeps, Chevy's and a Toyota. BTW it's a EJ22 and 4.11 Legacy AWD.

http://s209.beta.photobucket.com/user/Gloyale/media/1218121357_zpsc63c6087.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Arriving at the top

1218121357_zpsc63c6087.jpg

The first time this Jeep was stuck. I pulled him out.

1218121357a_zps1cd642bf.jpg

The Chevy over the edge, right at the top parking/turnaround area that caused all the holdup

1218121357b_zps3cfa7af4.jpg

The second time this Jeep was stuck (I let someone else pull him) And the Chevy still stuck

1218121416_zps3ab3e642.jpg

And 2 more from about 2/3 of the way up, in front of a cool waterfall.....that you can't really see in my crappy Cell Phone pics. Sorry.

I backed up into some virgin snow to illustrate how much snow there was. It was even deeper at the top.

1218121340a_zpscb6b7caa.jpg

1218121340_zps225aeab1.jpg

Sweet pics, takes me back to my college days in Corvalley. Was that Chevy a dually? Whenever it snows I just park my Jeep and drive the Sube. All these bigger rig drivers don't realize them wide tires don't work so well in the snow. I'm getting pizza-cutters for the Jeep next time I need tires. I know my Sube would make it to the top, but the BFG ATs on the Heep would have failed miserably.

What kind of snow tires are you running?

Sweet pics, takes me back to my college days in Corvalley. Was that Chevy a dually? Whenever it snows I just park my Jeep and drive the Sube. All these bigger rig drivers don't realize them wide tires don't work so well in the snow. I'm getting pizza-cutters for the Jeep next time I need tires. I know my Sube would make it to the top, but the BFG ATs on the Heep would have failed miserably.

What kind of snow tires are you running?

Chevy's not a dually. Extra cab though. Heavy rigs in deep snow are screwed when they slide sideways. I took the Jimmy many many hard hits to get him out. They broke both Cast tow horns off the front end, and many tow ropes.

My self and others showed up with heavy chain. We wrapped the chain through the crossmember and the blazer wailed the bejeeeeezus out of the chain til he finally came out. Once the chain whipped back and smacked the Jimmy tailgate, knocking off it the GMC logo and a big chunk of crappy bonbo work.

I sat far back and watched. It was ridiculously funny. I'm really glad nobody got hurt.

Tires on my Sube= Hankook Hakkapelita Studded 215/65/15

They broke both Cast tow horns off the front end, and many tow ropes.

My self and others showed up with heavy chain. We wrapped the chain through the crossmember and the blazer wailed the bejeeeeezus out of the chain til he finally came out. Once the chain whipped back and smacked the Jimmy tailgate, knocking off it the GMC logo and a big chunk of crappy bonbo work.

Good way to get someone killed. I knew a guy who was killed a few years ago when the tow point on the other vehicle let go.

Pretty cool pictures. Hakkas FTW, for sure. I'm constantly shocked at how much snow my FWD Celica will plow through with Blizzak Revo1s (more of an ice tire, than deep snow), so much fun.

I don't go anywhere in the winter without my gear, which includes a good well-oiled comealong, 60' of looped recovery straps, a collection of shackles (some tow points won't allow use of a nice big 10k lb one, but still better to use a small, ~5klb shackle than a hook) and a couple shovels (not to mention tools, clothes, etc.)

Chevy's not a dually. Extra cab though. Heavy rigs in deep snow are screwed when they slide sideways. I took the Jimmy many many hard hits to get him out. They broke both Cast tow horns off the front end, and many tow ropes.

Agreed. Got cought in a snow storm up in the mountains of Vermont last winter in my girlfriends F-350 dually with brand new all seasons on it.(litteraly had them put on that morning) I don't think I've ever driven so slow in the snow in my life! I didn't like it at all! I pulled over and let her drive the rest of the way. Lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/22/science-snowflakes-shapes-chemistry_n_2338737.html?utm_hp_ref=science

Show offs. The only snow we got so far was that freaky Blizzard after Hurricane Sandy, and the Justy was in that snow. Oddly over powered for good traction in the snow. You have to use the Ds(port) slector to get going without spinning tires everywhere.

Can't wait for Blu2 to see snow.

its all good until the snow you are pushing with the front bumper starts coming over the hood.

Never stopped mine. :D Been a few years since we had really good snow here, and I'm sure the Soob would do better now than it did then, but I couldn't believe that a car could push 20" of snow on worn out all seasons. Land rovers jeeps and 4wd trucks couldn't touch it.

why is this do you think?

Is it the lightness of our cars?

I do notice when parking in deep snow that if i stop the car sinks a bit a split second later...

It seems as long as im moving she stays on top!

Edited by tron

It's all about the weight.

In the snow, it comes down to traction(surface area and compound) to weight ratio. If you have enough traction, and little enough weight, you can ride up on top of the snow.

Independent suspension helps too, because when the belly starts sliding, the wheels will drop down deeper. A solid axle plows into the snow and digs deeper until it is supported by the snow, and then the wheel won't drop any further.

A solid axle plows into the snow and digs deeper until it is supported by the snow, and then the wheel won't drop any further.

LOL If my front axle is pushing snow, your loyale will be done for.

This snow was about 3 feet deep here. Can't say as I've met a Subaru that could get to the spot I took this photo from. ;)

picture.php?albumid=166&pictureid=1907

Edited by Zap

"LOL If my front axle is pushing snow, your loyale will be done for.

This snow was about 3 feet deep here. Can't say as I've met a Subaru that could get to the spot I took this photo from. ;)"

I have a lifted 1994 Land Cruiser so I hear you about the deep stuff. That said his point about the independent suspension dropping does make for a good argument and a lot of sense.

I know that my 1986 4x4 Subaru GL wagon that is stock does incredibly well in the snow. Even being plowed in by the snow plows where it is parked on the street and they just pile it up around the cars. It climbs right over it and out without a complaint.

Edited by kybishop

LOL If my front axle is pushing snow, your loyale will be done for.

This snow was about 3 feet deep here. Can't say as I've met a Subaru that could get to the spot I took this photo from. ;)

Well, again, that "loyale" ('86 GL actually) is my "street" car. 2" lift, 215/65/15 tires. (less than 26")

Now my bigger car has 6" lift, and 235/75/15 tires. that's what I'm takin up today:brow:

I'll bet your Toyota has even bigger tires than that.

My point about Indy vs. Solid front suspension would be more apparent if we were talking about rigs with the same size tires.

How would your yota, or any other solid axle rig, do with a 26" tire??? Probably not as well as a sube is my guess.

Those are some awesome pics. And I'm not denying the general awesomeness of toyota trucks. I'd love to wheel with ya some time. I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

Edited by Gloyale

it normally doesn't snow IN lewiston because lewiston is in a valley so there ends up with a temp inversion.hot air near the ground and cold air on top.With that being said the last time it snowed here I wrote messages on the hood of my cars on the street.on my 83 RX7 I wrote "BRR",the subaru I wrote "YA!!!"