Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can't find an EA 82 oil pump?1985 GL 10

1985 GL 10 only 252,000 miles !!! I LOVE MY SUBARU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean 10-30 castrol/a little lucas to help,and a Purolator oil filter....Starts GREAT!! not much compression left though.Still runs great...

NOW,

I think i need an oil pump for my subie, It's been sittin for a good while now because the lifters started ticking...they fade in and out at various rpms.For instance, at 2000 rpms, they get quiet for a minute, then start to tick again,then get quiet........I purchased the gaskets for the oil pump from Subaru for about $20. pretty cheap...The oil pump WAS available for $131. until I got the $ this month, then they ALL dissapeared from the face of the earth!! Subaru has one I can get for $175. TOO MUCH!!!! Can I just re-seal the existing pump? is it time to save for a re-man engine?

Thanks in advance!!

$175 is pretty reasonable really. EJ pumps cost about the same if not a bit more. I think last I checked my price on an EA82 pump at the dealer was somewhere around $145ish for the one with the pressure sender and like $115 for the idiot light pump. You can put your sender in the idiot light pump and it will work just fine.

That's pretty much par for the course on engine parts.

If you're going to drive old cars - best be putting money aside each month for repairs. In the Subaru world the dealer is often the only source but their prices are (fortunately) pretty reasonable.

If you want cheap parts I suggest a SBC. Super cheap parts. Mileage generally sucks though.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thanks for all the QUICK replies!!!!

Grossgary, sorry they don't have one.I got excited when I saw it, but, a phone call and three minutes later "Chris" told me "Sorry, we dont have that item any more,BUT ,I can get you one for 179.00..........Oh well, Looks like I just have to re seal if I cant find one..............

Thanks again!!

Ctsuba is the man! Get the reseal kit. We've all done it. Mickey mouse seal , you'll love it ! Hold that one in place with vasoline they tell you in the manual. It'll shift around or fall out and make you angry if you don't add a little goo to keep it while you set it to the block.

Have fun and save money. Get that six of good beer and apply liberally.

Cheers!

..... And check out my new water pump !!! :)