Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 79 Brat build

Kevint143

this is awesome...keep it up! I just got a 1979 brat and starting the make over but learning as I go. I just got done sanding and painting some stuff with rust over paint. I need to find a spare tire hold down screw, rear jump seats, rear roll bar, a non rusty front face valance panel, and if anyone knows where to get a new exhaust/muffler system kit? more problems to come but at least its running so far! keep up the good work and info!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so new direction! I am abondoning the turbo install..well not completly it is going on my buddys BRAT. I was talking with my fiance and we reached an agreement that I can do an EJ swap into mine. So now the search starts for a donor car for under $1000! Any leads are greatly appriciated .

• 3 weeks later...

Driving down to San Diego to pick this up tomorrow. if anyone needs gen 1 legacy parts let me know! Ill be parting it out once I am done! Will ship at your expense.

12241186703_f5a4278056.jpg
Untitled by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

12241243604_16123bd9d5.jpg

12241245894_6391f46072.jpg

12241010673_9bcd95c1a9.jpg

12241405126_71f7f33a9e.jpg

So what a trip that was to pick up the Legacy. Everything started out great drove 250 miles to pick up the Legacy in our 2008 Forester. Test drove it checked it out everything looked good for a 1 owner car. The guy has records of all the work done since he has owned the car and has put about $3000 into it in the last 4/5 years. things like new Clutch, axles, hubs, brakes, struts just about everything imaginable. He even had receipts for gas that he put into it in 1997 she gas was $1.49/gal! That blew my mind. After looking it over and it had no leaks the oil looked good all other fluids looked awesome let it run for about 20 mins after the test drive and no signs of anything going wrong I felt pretty confident in the drive home. I took the car with 200,000 miles exactly on it. The family and I decided to head over to the coast and hang out before we made the 4hour trip home. This is where the fun begins we get about 2 hours into the drive and she jolts off the freeway in the forester then texts me swing something popped under the hood and the Forester started to Overheat. I get to her and coolant is all over the engine bay so we call for a tow but being over 250 miles from home we were looking at a bill of about $900/1000 which i just frankly couldn't pay. She has an uncle that lives 15 miles from where we broke down so we try and limp it over there but it starts over heating after 2 miles again…so we park it and call for a tow to his house and then all load up in the Legacy to make the drive home. So for the first drive I took this $700 dollar legacy 302 miles and couldn't be more impressed with how it drove. I am going to get the Forester taken care of and then start the swap but we might end up having to use the legacy as a Daily for a few weeks while we figure out whats gonna happen with the Forester. But enough of that here are some pics!

12280087186_3239a09814.jpg

12280081856_b3be96e602.jpg

12279667555_44b4666be3.jpg

besides a nice dent in the hood I almost feel bad about sacrificing this car for the BRAT =/
Edited by Kevint143

• 3 weeks later...