Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why Subaru?

I know why I like my Subaru. It's a fun car and the 4-Wheel drive makes going thru snow very easy. It's fun to work on and easy to work on. I am having issues with my ride right now and I hope to have that resolved soon. The car is only 34 years old so things need replacing.

I am just wondering about everyone else and your motivation for owning older Subarus? Or newer?

The XT6 got me rolling in Subaru's, I had fun with them, they got me through college cheaply, and then it grew from there.

Experience, inexpensive, reliable, high miles. I have so much experience with Subaru's, going with anything else I'd be at a severe disadvantage in maintenance, tools, what to look for, etc. I don't have the time to learn other manufacturers at this point.

The forums have helped over the long term too (with the experience component above). Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I haven't found as many helpful forums for other manufacturers as I have Subaru's. I'm usually working on some non-Subaru for friends/family and it seems like stuff that would be easy to find for Subaru's is hard to come by and get a response for.

My first car was an 86 GL hatchback. It gave its life in proving to me that subarus are made of tough stuff. I was absolutely brutal to that car, and it never quit on me. Several accidents, leadfooted offroading, airborn on at least a dozen occassions...no maintenance. I feel terrible for what i did to that poor thing. Anyways, that car is the reason i now own an 84 GL and an '06 Baja

i like the older subaru's because they're fun to drive, unique, always gets looks going down the road, their reliability in motors, their great off road capabilities. also because i love working on older cars and like having restoration projects.

my first car is a 85 brat:headbang:been working on it since i was 13 but its getting close to being done and about a month ago i picked up a ea81turbo wagon:cool:

Edited by turbosubarubrat

i remember the first time i took off from a stop light on a snow covered road, none of the other cars went anywhere and i could have sworn i was on dry pavement. it was all history from that point.

I had something like that like 5 years ago.. went on the parkway here and 3 huge plow trucks took up both lanes but they saw I needed to go past so they moved over, well I was then on a fresh 10" of snow.. crazy how moving at 40 mph so much snow comes up over the bumper..

and that was just with A/S...