Ultimate Subaru Message Board

right front wheel makes clunk when hitting bumps

93 legacy auto 212k.

When i hit a bump or pot hole the right front wheel makes a clunk sort of nosie. Almost sounded like a really bad ball joint. Got the front end up in the air and ball joints are nice and tight, no play in steering. All i can think of is from somewhere in the strut. Can they make noise like this somehow?

Clunking is a pretty typical bad strut noise in my experience.

Yea, could be a bad top strut bearing, sometimes called the "Top Hat." Squirt some white lithium grease around the top of the top hat at the top of the strut under the hood. If it quiets down some of the noise, then it is a bad (loose) strut bearing. Squirting some grease is how I got my wife's OBW strut to quiet down a little.

what they all said: sway bar/end links or strut.

my 2003 Outback Sedan is doing the same thing on the passengers side..thunk thunk........thunk.......thunk thunk....

everything appears tight and working properly...but i can grab my sway bar and pull it side to side through the bushings - can't do that on my other Outback Wagon so I ordered sway bar bushings like Turbone said. haven't installed them yet though.

Also, it could be a brake pad moving around in the caliper. A quick test would be to go over a bump that would normally cause the noise, but have some moderate brake pressure applied. If you dont hear the clunk, install new brake pad anti-rattle hardware. And grease the back of the pads.

Edited by markjw