Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Impreza Brighton - 5-sp trans leak between engine and trans

Make sure the engine is high enough for the studs in the engine mounts to clear the crossmember. When I pulled one I brought the engine and trans up then just put a bit of pressure on the trans with a jack.

It is possible that they are stuck together with a bit of corrosion. Once you make sure its high enough you can insert a small prybar into any gap you have and use it to push the engine away from the transmission.

Do I need to loosen the motor mounts? If so, I did not do that yet...... I'll also try penetrating fluid overnight.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking pulling the engine. Just the prybars should work. Also the starter may need to come out if you haven't pulled that of. And the pitch stopper at the top of the trans.

Starter is off. Pitch stopper is unbolted from trans. Nothing is attached to trans.

I think its just being stubborn. I'll take a right angle wedge tomorrow night and see what i can do.

I'll let you all know what i find out.

Do I need to loosen the motor mounts? If so, I did not do that yet...... I'll also try penetrating fluid overnight.

Yes!!

Generally if you jack up the tranny a little (with a block of wood), then lift the engine, the weight should break it loose.

I don't have an engine hoist, I use a comelong attached to a chain over the beams in my garage. So I just use a bottle jack against a block of wood on the firewall and the piston against a metal portion of the block.Works everytime. No chiselling and no profanity.

Take another look around the block and make sure you have removed all bolts that attach the tranny to engine, lpus the two nuts that are on the dowel pins.

AFAIK you shouldn't have it, but on some EDM models there was a bolt that goes through clutch fork from the driver side tranny housing. Hex IIRC. 05+GT models have this type of cross bolt also.

O.

Not really. Pop the throwout bearing off and also remove the clutch and flywheel to check the seals in there. When you have something apart and its easy to check I recommend doing it. If you need torque specs either I or someone else can let you know, I would do it now but my manual is buried in my car and its freezing out.

It certainly appears that way from your photo's. What does that gook smell like? If it smells like gear oil then that's pretty much the only place it can come from.

GD

<sigh> gear oil

I've never taken a subaru trans apart. If I only plan on changing the seal, how long should it take, and is it tough? I wont have to set the backlash or press off any gears or bearings, will I? Trans was working fine when I took it off. Never grinds or anything. I baby this car.

Or should I go out and grab a used one?

based on the thread linked to earlier i don't see any gear pressing or backlash worries:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90182

doesn't look like you mess with backlash at all.

not sure which bearings it is but be nice to replace the input shaft bearings if it's easy as they do wear out.

others more informed will check in hopefully.

WV, what part? i'm in morgantown.

Like Ivan said, check the input shaft (main shaft) for play. There may be a small amount, but if there is too much it means the mainshaft ball bearing is worn.

Also possible the seal just went bad. In which case, its about $10 from a dealer and takes an hour or two to replace. Most of that is cleaning the case halves before reassembly.

based on the thread linked to earlier i don't see any gear pressing or backlash worries:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90182

doesn't look like you mess with backlash at all.

not sure which bearings it is but be nice to replace the input shaft bearings if it's easy as they do wear out.

others more informed will check in hopefully.

WV, what part? i'm in morgantown.

Inwood ( Just south of Martinsburg)

Like Ivan said, check the input shaft (main shaft) for play. There may be a small amount, but if there is too much it means the mainshaft ball bearing is worn.

Also possible the seal just went bad. In which case, its about $10 from a dealer and takes an hour or two to replace. Most of that is cleaning the case halves before reassembly.

I tried to wobble the shaft back and forrg but no play. I'll try again when I get home from work and let you know.

Pretty soon I'll be pulling the engine out of my '84 to fix that same leak, I'll try using sealant and come back to this thread and update (unless I can access the seal without splitting the trans in an EA81 2wd). Also, to remove the AWD off the rear of the trans be sure all of the long bolts that hold the 2 halves together are out. The AWD clutch pack has a couple of long forks that hook around one of those bolts and it won't come off until that bolt is removed. Can't remember which one it is exactly... but you'll be removing them all anyway.