Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Impreza Brighton - 5-sp trans leak between engine and trans

IMHO, if you're mechanically inclined and careful, taking the trans apart and splitting the case to replace the input shaft and seal is not a big deal. Just be sure to not disturb the gears/shafts any more than necessary. When splitting the case, remove the passengers side (big rubber mallet on bell housing to knock it off after all bolts removed, look for hidden ones) leaving the drivers side lying on the workbench with all the inards in place. When putting the the halfs of the case back together, just be sure to place the top half on carefully that the front output shaft goes thru the seal straight and doesn't knock off the spring inside the lip causing another leak. I will be doing this job myself, again, this weekend.

BTW, Gloyale writeup referenced earlier is pretty good. He covered most of the gottchas. Just don't use too much sealant on the case or pieces can break off eventually and clog oil passages and cause problems (ask me how I know).

Edited by rallynutdon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Summit point is on the other side of I-81. I'm on the West side. Been to Summit many times. I used to do track days on my ZX-12 there. Love the place.

I'm going to pick my new (well, 55k miles) tranny up this Saturday. 2-hour drive but relatively low mileage for $500. Good price?

$500 seems good if it has only 55k on it. Just got done tonight assembling my 96 5 speed, putting in a new input shaft seal and axle stub seals. Took 2 hours to remove trans. Around 3 hours to disassemble and clean up mating surfaces and 2 hours to re-assemble. Tomorrow I'll put it back in the car.

$500 seems good if it has only 55k on it. Just got done tonight assembling my 96 5 speed, putting in a new input shaft seal and axle stub seals. Took 2 hours to remove trans. Around 3 hours to disassemble and clean up mating surfaces and 2 hours to re-assemble. Tomorrow I'll put it back in the car.

any pictures?

Thank you all for your help so far. All I have left is the exhaust and a few hoses on the motor. I feel as though I could have the tranny out in 2 hours next time.

I don't believe it's necessesary to pull the shifter stuff apart in the cabin, is it? Simply taking the the linkage off the rod on the trans is enough. right?

• 2 weeks later...