Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping 5th gearsets EA FT4wd ~ '05 FOR XT

Gloyale

Does anyone know if the Forrester XT taller 5th gearset will fit the into an old XT turbo FullTime 4wd w/difflock box.

The reason I ask, is I want a taller 5th Gear, without loosing much on the 1st gear crawling side.

My current trans is 4.11 AWD from 96 outback, cable/push clutch. 1st is O.K., but could be lower....definately don't want much taller.

Final drive in 1st is 14.57, in 5th it's 3.206

IF the Foz XT 5th gear will fit onto a 3.7 Turbo FT4wd gearbox....the ratios would be this

Final drive in 1st= 13.1165, and in 5th= 2.7306:headbang: Yeah....that would be much taller for the MPGs. 1st a bit taller too....but should still be o.k.

This would all be going into an EJ swapped 86 wagon.

The thing I don't have an answer on, is how similar are the shaft diameters, shift collar diameters, etc....from the old FT4wd, to the 2nd gen, pull clutch type AWD trans in the Forrester XT???

Edited by Gloyale

This is only what I have read, so it's not experiential nor confirmed on my part:

The L series 5th gear isn't interchangeable with the EJ 5th gearset - apparently the shaft diametres are different.

But I don't know if this runs true for the L series AWD lockable centre diff gearbox. My gut feeling is either as well which is of no use. Again, what I've read is that the L 5th isn't compatible with the EJ 5th, that's about all I can give you without you investigating further.

Regards

Bennie

The L series 5th gear isn't interchangeable with the EJ 5th gearset - apparently the shaft diametres are different.

But I don't know if this runs true for the L series AWD lockable centre diff gearbox.

I know the FT4wd EA boxes, and the Phase I EJ AWD boxes share lower shaft diameters, and I'm sure Gears can be swapped from EA FT4wd and phase I EJ AWD.

Just really need to know about the Phase I / Phase II compatibility.

Thanks for the responses.