Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 EA82 carbed - Hard to start

Hello everyone, I've read alot on the fuel pump relay... but mostly that is on the SPFI (later years). This is my son's car. When he turns the key to on, we hear a clicking sound. So, that's the relay? I am aware of the bank of 4 relays behind the fuse panel, but I thought those were for headlamps, brakes, etc. Anyone know where the fuel pump relay is? And should you hear it click? BTW... Eventually, his car will start.

My other '85 ea82 carbed (mine)... I never hear any clicking or the fuel pump running. Owned it for 20 years.

Thanks everyone for the help. Happy New Year to All ! Ron W.

I should clarify... the engine turns over... every time. However, it does not start. I first turn the key to on... I hear a clicking relay. It will then stop. So I engage the starter... it turns over great. But no start.

Seems as though it is not getting fuel. So my question... is the relay supposed to click? Or does that mean it is going out?

Once the car does start (after 7 or 8 attempts)... it runs fine.

Is the fuel pump relay for a carbed '85 ea82 the square blue one or is it one of the torpedos in the bank of 4?

Thanks in advance...

Sorry to assume, but younger folks don't know you have to pump the gas and set the choke, if they even know what a carburetor is. It's a lot like people who try to pump the gas on a fuel injected car.

Try peressing the pedal to the floor once beofre starting.

the fuel pump relay is mounted above the steering column. On the carb model, it kicks on for a second at key on, and then will continue to run once it seed a signal from the rotating distributor. There is also a fuel pump control unit.

you may notice a buzzing sound under the kood with the key on. this is normal

I had someone try in vain to start one of my soobs back in the day. At least 5 0r 6 times. I mentioned the choke thing and it fired right up for me when i demonstrated.

It's a lot like people who try to pump the gas on a fuel injected car.