Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just two days ago, my 1990 legacy started to make a whining noise which is directly connected to engine RPM. It sounds like it's coming from one of the idlers or one of the accessory pumps. I want to think/seems to be coming from the air conditioning pump. I was thinking about removing the air conditioning belt to see if it goes away. IF it is the air conditioner, I should be able to just remove the belt and not even worry about air conditioning right? (I don't ever use air conditioning anyway)

Just two days ago, my 1990 legacy started to make a whining noise which is directly connected to engine RPM. It sounds like it's coming from one of the idlers or one of the accessory pumps. I want to think/seems to be coming from the air conditioning pump. I was thinking about removing the air conditioning belt to see if it goes away. IF it is the air conditioner, I should be able to just remove the belt and not even worry about air conditioning right? (I don't ever use air conditioning anyway)

It's probably the power steering. As you said, take the belts off one at a time and see when the noise stops.

It's safe to start the engine without the belts.

The battery/alternator is fine I think. It turned over no problem in -20~ last week. Never seen any charge light.

Going to check the belts today. Thanks for the replies!

If it is the AC unit, I may just take the belt off and leave it off. That won't be a problem right?

Edited by bluegreene

Had this happen on my Impreza. Started slight but I started it up at work the one day and got shrieking from under the hood. Popped the hood, listened to where it was coming from. Pulled out my pocket knife. Cut the belt off. Problem solved. :grin:

A/C hasn't worked in over a year and I'm not bothering to fix it anytime soon.

Had this happen on my Impreza. Started slight but I started it up at work the one day and got shrieking from under the hood. Popped the hood, listened to where it was coming from. Pulled out my pocket knife. Cut the belt off. Problem solved. :grin:

A/C hasn't worked in over a year and I'm not bothering to fix it anytime soon.

I had to do that once. The idler was doing the thing where it eats a hole in the timing cover. It was a hot summer day. I had to pull over and cut the belt off... no more AC for the day. It sucked. heh.