Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Wagon Pulling to side on Acceleration?

Trying to diagnose the most recent front end problem with my wagon..

I just had my tires balanced, noticed today on hard acceleration she pulls to the left. I believe I am starting to hear a growl from the front end at higher speeds as well. Pairing these to symptoms I want to say it's a bad front left wheel bearing?

I would appreciate any input, thanks folks.

Did this just randomly start happening? I know with any FWD car, there is torque steer. Tons of power going to the steering wheels will make them turn towards one direction. Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear did a demonstration of this in a Ford Focus (if I remember correctly).

However, the EA82 has barely any power, so it won't be very evident. But when I launch and go full throttle, I do feel the car pulling to one side, usually the left. I'm not sure exactly how hard your EA82 is pulling to the left, though.

It could always be a bad wheel bearing, but just do remember that torque steer exists.

It's possible that it has been doing this since I have owned it(4 months) and just noticed it today. But I'm usually pretty aware of such things. I'd like to say it started shortly after I replaced both CV axles. I know that the PO replaced the passenger side wheel bearing. This is why I'm leaning towards that other bearing being a problem.

I guess it could be torque steer, but I really don't think so. I put it in 4wd as well to see if anything changed, and it was still the same result. As you said, with such a low power engine, I can't imagine the engine power, or lack thereof, would be the sole cause of this problem.

Presidente, that is what I have heard. This is why I'm trying to determine if it is indeed the bearing. The problem is, other people can't seem to hear what I'm hearing. I've had two people drive it, one a mechanic, and said it was fine. But when I drive it, I can hear SOMETHING going on in the front end.

How does one check radius rod bushings? Do I have to unbolt the rod from the control arm and check for slop? Or can I just visually inspect them?

^+1

yeah these cars shouldn't have very much torque steer because of the equal length C/v shafts, so bushings or bearings, unless your car has 2 different C/V's

my car has this issue, one 3at turbo shaft one n/a shaft, the turbo shaft is thicker so i get some mild TS

Yeah, I'm not really the one to give advice on what the problem is, since there are WAY more knowledgeable people on here (who will soon chime in, hopefully).

I never noticed my bit of torque steer until 6-7 months after I bought my Loyale, which is the time I finally put my foot down. :-p The torque steer isn't gonna turn the steering wheel 90 degrees like a 350 HP FWD car, but it's enough to notice it if you look for it.

When you had your tires balanced, something could've happened. The moment after I had my snow tires installed on my car, I noticed a somewhat violent shaking from the front passenger side when at freeway speeds and under load. Take my foot off the gas, and the shaking stops. Still haven't figured out what is wrong, but yeah, something could've happened.

If you change the bearing, change the axle too while you're down there. A failing axle could cause that I believe, so it wouldn't hurt to swap it out.

How does one check radius rod bushings? Do I have to unbolt the rod from the control arm and check for slop? Or can I just visually inspect them?

Don't unbolt anything, get the front wheel off the ground and try moving stuff around. Look for split bushings, pieces missing or loose bolts. Diagnosing bearings can be hit and miss, because it depends on what failed if anything and how fubar it is. I's start buy taking the wheel and hub off the rotor and spindle(so the rotor is out of the equation. Its 4-14mm bolts in the center of the hub. Then have someone slowly turn the tire on the oppisite side and closely listen to the bearing in question. The only parts spinning are the CV axle/spindle and the bearings.

Don't worry about torque steer in an ea82 unless your motor mounts are iffy....you have to have torque to have torque steer<EA82 bashing off>:clap:

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

I have had torque steer with a failing (dry) cv joint, and also when my anti-roll bar link came unbolted (causes the body to roll with the torque, altering geometry).

Probably the first thing that I would do is check the CV boot for tears, check the anti-roll bar link, and tighten the axle-nut. The axle nut should be periodically checked for tightness (especially after axle R&R) and could be causing your growling.

The axle nut should be periodically checked for tightness (especially after axle R&R) and could be causing your growling.

Definitely follow this. If the axle nut is coming loose, your cone washer is most likely failing. I spent a while thinking my bearings were making the ungodly grinding noise in my front wheels. Then I realized it was my cone washers. Never did anything about it, until the day I stripped my hub.

So my word of advice from experience is, the very moment you realize your cone washer(s) is/are failing, head to the dealership and place an order for 'em. There wasn't a dealer with any in stock unless I drove 3.5 hours, one-way. Then, I ordered some, and Subaru messed up on the shipping, so I didn't get my washers for a week (when I was supposed to have them in two days). Not to mention the drive up to the junkyard for a new hub.

So, anyways, not sure how much this would cause the pulling to the left, but it could definitely make noises up front.

My motor mounts may very well be iffy. There is definitely a lot of bucking when sharply pressing the gas pedal, or letting go of it suddenly. This primarily happens in 2wd. I was thinking motor or tranny mounts?

I replaced the CVs only 1000 miles ago, so I sure hope they're still good. Will check the boots though.

There was some wobble in my steering wheel earlier this week at higher speeds, cranked the axle nuts down and that went away.

Will be doing as Josh said, and taking the wheel and rotor off tomorrow.

Was planning on driving 400 miles round trip to sell an engine to another member on Sunday. Might be smart to postpone?