Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 intake onto EA82 motor. Both carbed *new problems general help needed*

Well while i wait for my weber adapter plate to come for my ea82 intake, i need to get my car running.

Has anyone swaped an EA81 intake onto an EA82 motor? I have read up on this, and have found that the intake will fit, but that is about it. I am just looking for info on any big issues that i may run into so that i might be a little bit more prepared.

Thanks for all responses.

Well i got it all hooked up without too much trouble. I went to start it and the engine turned over for about 3 seconds and then stopped. I turned the key again and all i got was a *click* and the car didn't turn over. Now that is all that happens....turn the key *click* then nothing.

Any thoughts as to why this would be?

did you use new intake gaskets? did you drain coolant before you took of intake? i changed my carb and intake, not exactly like you are doing, had same problem, water was leaking into the engine and hydro locked it. had to remove spark plugs to get it to turn over . then found the water was leaking past one of the old re-used gaskets. replaced them and now it works fine. Just a thought.

Could just be a totally un-related electrical problem that just cropped up. Or,,,

It could be a water leak at the manifold gasket(s), which have the engine hydro-locked.

Pull your spark plugs, checking for coolant as you do, then try cranking it again. If it turns over, and sprays coolant all over the place, you have found the problem. Should be evidant as to which side needs more attention.

Well i pulled the plugs, and found the the drivers side has fluid in the cylinders. I can't tell if it is coolant or fuel, but there is definatly something in there.

With all of the plugs out, i try to turn the key over and still just get the *click* from the starter, and the car does not turn over.

Could i have fried my starter when i tried to start the engine the first time with coolant in the cylinders?

Why would the starter just click and not turn over?

I am going to go fiddle with it some more....maybe i can figure something out.

thanks for the input so far, i really appreciate it.

i thought i wasn't getting enough juice to the starter, so i cleaned the battery connections, made sure the starter was hooked up well, still nothing, so i tried jumpstarting the car. still nothing.

There is definatly coolant in the cylinders on the drivers side. so there is a chance that i hydro locked it, and fried my starter maybe?

who knows, i am pretty frustrated at this thing...getting ready to go postal on it....