Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW 5MT:

Possible stoopid question:

I'm getting a very regular "thunk" upon acceleration followed by immediate deceleration...Forward/lift foot off gas pedal/*thunk* (OK, well, more of a popping noise. Almost sounds as if it's coming from the dash.) My first plan of attack (having read some posts on this and other boards) is the front stabilizer bar bushings. (CV axle is recently replaced). I know they are very old and they appear to be cracked a bit. My question: Does the entire bar need to be removed to replace these? Or do they sort of clamp on? Haynes doesn't mention this, only removal/replacement of the entire bar.

Also check the big bushing at back of control arm it will have two lg. bolts holding it. It will be real close to where you place the jack to remove front wheel. When grease starts coming out of them they usually are not far from popping.

The stabilizer bar's bushings are easily replaced. The bushings holders are held by one bolt only. When this bolt is removed the other end is a flat hook that disengages from a slot above it. You replace the rubber part and that's it.

The clunk you're hearing could also come from the ball joint and even from the strut upper mount.