Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do I do first?

mctaylor42

So I just got this little beauty for free from a family friend, and have no clue what to do next.

It's an 82 gl wagon that runs, and i was able to drive it home, the first thing i want to address is the

fact that it diesels. I'm a total n00b when it comes to subaru, only ever worked

on fords and hondas. Help me :( .

xpwf9.jpg

pVJ2P.jpg

Edited by Turbone
Pics were to big

where is durham? and definetly get the rear hatch emblem that says "subaru gl" on the hatch, hatch wind deflector, and a roof rack. looks great from what i can tell and it even has the third eye:clap:(have you tried it out yet?) i just got a 83 turbo wagon my self for free:banana:

Yes, love that little thing, its great. Durham is in nor-cal, and where is a good place for emblems?

i started on the roof and worked my way down the first thing was glue all the roof seams with winsheild urathane to stiffen it up then i used expanding foam in all the cavities in the roof. and installed the intergrated roof rack assemblys out of a outback and there roof plates thiss made the roof 90% stronger then i started on the rest of car

he is saying it is un-accelerating or slowing down. could need a tune up if it hasn't had one in a while other than that idk. is it a auto or a 4speed?

Traditionally deiseling refers to continuing to run after the key is shut off. Could be out of time or needing a the carburator rebuilt/replaced.

Traditionally deiseling refers to continuing to run after the key is shut off. Could be out of time or needing a the carburator rebuilt/replaced.

Thats exactly what I mean, except I have no key, just toggles and a button. My guess is simply bad gas because when I went to pick it up, it started right up with no new gas, shut it off, dieseled for 5min before i forced it to stop. Now, after a few gallons of gas added on top, it only goes for a few seconds and stops.

BTW, the term dieseling comes from the fact that it runs like a diesel motor, i.e. ignition with no spark.

he is saying it is un-accelerating or slowing down. could need a tune up if it hasn't had one in a while other than that idk. is it a auto or a 4speed?

Sorry kiddo, that's not quite what he means when he says it's "Dieseling". Assuming the OP knows what dieseling is, it means when he shuts the ignition off the engine keeps running. Combustion without spark (like a diesel).

Does it do it for long? What kind of temps are you seeing on the gauge when it's warmed up? Have you put fresh gas in it yet?

More than likely the carb on that thing needs a good refreshing, if not replaced. I'd first try using some carb cleaner and see if that helps it out at all. It's a long shot, but I personally like to try the cheapest things first. 5 dollar can of gumout carb cleaner can't hurt. Lots of people just replace the stock carb with a Weber, but it's a bit pricey to do.

Whoops, didn't notice this continued to a second page already....and that everything I just said has already been said lol :rolleyes:

Check out the timing if you can! Throw some premium in there and a bottle of octane booster, too.

Hello, quick question. How is octane booster and premium grade gas going to help him? Sounds like some carb cleaner or some of those fuel system cleaners and putting some miles on it would do best as you mentioned above. Not trying to be rude, octane booster and premium gas seem to be a common wives tale when trying to clean up old carbs without removing them.

Nice 'ol wagon by the way! Hope it serves you well!

Sounds like a good candidate for a can of Seafoam! :banana:

Smoke the neighbors out of their houses and probably restore your performance along the way. It's great for gunked up stuff that's been sitting for a while.

Typical 1/2 in the crank case, 1/2 in the tank?

33% tank 33% carb, 33% crankcase. then change oil. run a search on seafoam and follow the directions, its fun

I usually run it for about 5 days or 100 miles in the crankcase before I do my oil change. The one time I replaced an oil pan seal not long after a seafoaming. You'd be amazed how clean looking things were on that motor after 20+ years and 200,000+ miles.

Hello, quick question. How is octane booster and premium grade gas going to help him? Sounds like some carb cleaner or some of those fuel system cleaners and putting some miles on it would do best as you mentioned above. Not trying to be rude, octane booster and premium gas seem to be a common wives tale when trying to clean up old carbs without removing them.

Nice 'ol wagon by the way! Hope it serves you well!

Couldn't hurt. Might help the diesel-ing. It's what I would do if it were my car.