Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '79 BRAT Project *Picture Heavy*

ThatSubaruKid

My '79 BRAT Project

By: SubaruBratKid

Background: I was Surfing Craigslist for a first car (perferably a soob) and stumbled upon this bad boy. It's in need of a new or rebuilt carb, but It has a New Engine, Clutch, and Tranny with 10k on all, the rear jump seats, a BADASS "Cherry Bomb" exhaust, a headache rack, rollbar, custom bumper, and a hand grenade shift knob. :brow:

[ATTACH]10461[/ATTACH]

I emailed the guy and forgot about it...until i recieved an email 3 days later. :brow:

I set a time to go look at the vehicle and after going to look at it, came home with the title and original key, in exchange for 700$.

Included in the deal was the old engine(Blown), a used clutch, 2 spare tires, and whatever extra pieces the previous owner had.

To Do List (In order of importance):

Tow Vehicle to my Mom's House

Remove Carbuerator

Take Apart Carbuerator

Rebuild the Carbuerator (Cant afford to go Weber yet...:()

Get a New Battery

Clutch Pedal Extension (I'm short...only like 5'3)

Fix the drivers side door handle (Wont open door from inside)

Exterior Wash

Interior Clean

Take care of the MINOR rust spots

Repaint "Headache Rack", Roll Bar, and Front Bumper

Repair interior issues (Window handle broke, seat wont slide forward, etc)

Repaint Exterior (Color TBD..any suggestions?)

1/8/2013-Day 1: Today I had the BRAT towed to my Mom's house in Portland, Oregon (I live in Vancouver, and the BRAT was coming from Oregon City, so Vancouver was too far to tow it.)

Misc. Pics:

[ATTACH]10462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10458[/ATTACH]

Hand grenade shift knob

[ATTACH]10460[/ATTACH]

The chery bomb exhaust

I Began my Journey to the Center of the Carbuerator:

[ATTACH]10444[/ATTACH]

The start of my Journey

[ATTACH]10445[/ATTACH]

Intake is Off

[ATTACH]10446[/ATTACH]

Carb is out

[ATTACH]10447[/ATTACH]

Carb is taken apart

Items on the "To Do List" accomplished today:

Tow Vehicle to my Mom's House

Remove Carbuerator

Take Apart Carbuerator

Tomarrow morning I can pick up the rebuild kit I ordered from O'reillys and begin rebuilding the carb, hopefully I can get a battery as well. Until then, Goodnight folks!

P.S. If anybody could tell me how to make it so you dont have to click on these pictures to see them, that would be great.

none of the pics work it says there invalid when you click on them. to make it so you dont have to click on them or for them to work you need to post pics on a site like facebook, google+, photo bucket, ect. then copy the image url from the picture and come back to this site and click on thisinsertimage.gifwhen making a reply and paste the image url in it and do that for how man pictures you have you can only have 21 pics including smilies per reply though so make more replys for how many pics you have.

i saw the add on craigslist nice brat alot of people are jealous for sure. im building a couple brats right now and there a very fun first car i got my 85 when i was 13 so its sticking around for a long time because im still building it:D

Day 2: 1-9-2013

So today I rebuilt the Carb, went to go put it back under the hood...and whatta ya know! The tape I used to mark the hoses fell off. I also cannot get the throttle (I think its the throttle) linkage to reconnect. After taking my best guess with the hoses, connecting some jumper cables to the battery, and having my sister pull on the link, the BRAT started, but then died when my sister let go of the link. I have 3 questions.

Is it the throttle linkage attached to the carb?

If so how do i reconnect it?

Does anyone have a hose diagram or something to help me reconnect all the hoses?

Pretty sure this is yours!

Indeed it is.:headbang:

Day 3: 1-10-12. Today i picked up a battery, took the carb back out to check for any leaks, it turned out ok, but still wouldnt start. I am still hesitant about my carbuerator rebuilding skills and this carbuerators state in general. I have come to the conclusion that I either A) Need a Brand new Carb or B) Need a used/rebuilt one. I found an 84 gl at pick and pull but I don't know if the carb is still in it. If it is, will it work for my brat?

• 4 weeks later...