Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting A 1985 EA81 Hatchback from manual to power steering

Hatched

Hey, all of you Subaru Guru's, I need some help with A big job I am starting soon. Hopefully some of you have learned from experience and have good advice. I have A 1985 EA81 hatchback that I want to put power steering on. The car currently has manual steering and I need A list of parts to gather before starting the job. I have A 1989 EA82 GL Wagon, that has power steering on it from factory and was wondering if it has any parts I can use for the upgrade, it would certainly help in cost because it is A whole car for parts. Thanks!

I was hoping that some of the EA82 stuff would work because I have it all. Its my luck that it won't and I do want it to bolt right up. I know where to buy A 1984 2WD wagon that has every option available on A EA81, including power-steering. I guess i'll have to pick it up. This car even has A digital dash and its not A turbo. I do beleive the only things it doesn't have is 4WD and turbo.

No you can't use any of the EA82 parts easily. Good luck finding EA81 PS parts. You need the whole engine cross-member as the power rack doesn't bolt to the non-power member.

GD

gd I have a lot of respect for you and think that you are usually correct on most things but I have converted my 86 brat to ps and it bolted right up just had to drill some holes for the lines.

Hey wounded brat, Did your brat come with manual steering? And were did you drill the holes? Was it in A area of high stress on the crossmember? I just wonder if you put A power steering crossmember next to A manual steering crossmember what would be difference between the two?

If you have no use for the power mirrors, I would love to help you recoup some of your money.

Dan

Hey Dan that sounds good to me because I already have two sets off of A brat. I know that the ones I have are the same for my hatch, thats why I have them. I was wondering if the set on the wagon are the same, or are they for EA81 wagons only? If they are all the same I probably already have A extra set that I could sell you.

Hey Dan that sounds good to me because I already have two sets off of A brat. I know that the ones I have are the same for my hatch, thats why I have them. I was wondering if the set on the wagon are the same, or are they for EA81 wagons only? If they are all the same I probably already have A extra set that I could sell you.

You've got a PM.

Dan

Hey wounded brat, Did your brat come with manual steering? And were did you drill the holes? Was it in A area of high stress on the crossmember? I just wonder if you put A power steering crossmember next to A manual steering crossmember what would be difference between the two?

don't know what the difference is if any but the holes are on the driver side to the front of the crossmember on a rather flat part originally was a manuel had to make a custom bracket for the pump to clear radiator hose

don't know what the difference is if any but the holes are on the driver side to the front of the crossmember on a rather flat part originally was a manuel had to make a custom bracket for the pump to clear radiator hose

I also was told by a subaru friend that each head has to have a tapped hole , machined into each head for the power rack bracket's. He said that earlier years had a flat spot on one or both the heads that had to be drilled and tapped. Fortunatly they are already there on my 1985 EA81. So there is something else to put in the pot before stirring.

gd I have a lot of respect for you and think that you are usually correct on most things but I have converted my 86 brat to ps and it bolted right up just had to drill some holes for the lines.

This was my experience also - although I don't remember having to drill holes for the lines?

I also was told by a subaru friend that each head has to have a tapped hole , machined into each head for the power rack bracket's. He said that earlier years had a flat spot on one or both the heads that had to be drilled and tapped. Fortunatly they are already there on my 1985 EA81. So there is something else to put in the pot before stirring.

Uh.....

The PS rack doesn't bolt to the engine. It bolts to the main crossmember.

Mounting the PS pump to the engine could be different story. But I believe it's been done too.

The only things I've needed to drill, are the spotwelds that hold the skidplate mount piece under the rack. 4 spot welds, and the panel drops out, bolts back in like an EA82 would.

I had to cut some holes to put an EJ rack in an EA82, but I can't see why you'd need to cut or drill any hole on an EA81 car to use an EA82 rack. The hardlines run in front of it, under engine.....not like an EJ where the lines go though the crossmember.

Uh.....

The PS rack doesn't bolt to the engine. It bolts to the main crossmember.

Mounting the PS pump to the engine could be different story. But I believe it's been done too.

The only things I've needed to drill, are the spotwelds that hold the skidplate mount piece under the rack. 4 spot welds, and the panel drops out, bolts back in like an EA82 would.

I had to cut some holes to put an EJ rack in an EA82, but I can't see why you'd need to cut or drill any hole on an EA81 car to use an EA82 rack. The hardlines run in front of it, under engine.....not like an EJ where the lines go though the crossmember.

Yea, I should have been clearer on what my buddy said. He meant that the bolt holes were there for power steering related brackets. I certainly didn't mean to bolt the rack to the engine. Sorry for my lack of clarification.