Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just moved to north seattle!

hey guys, i just moved to the area. if you see a white lifted wagon tooling around north seattle/u-dist/caphill with ohio plates, thats me. if you see me, ************ it, honk at me. if anyone in the area needs help with their soobies, let me know. ASE certified, ex-racing team crew chief, lots of tools and experience. i do on-site repairs and everything.

i actually really could use the extra money so if anyone needs any work on anything, let me know.

call me a cheapass, but i just got ohio tags. my ************ is still perfectly fine, registered for the next couple months in ohio. ill switch it eventually.

• Like 1

Welcome to the area. Reality check time. Seems like older Subaru's are being stolen in the north end of Seattle and outlying areas. Mine was prowled. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TOOL BOXES IN YOUR VEHICLE. You have a time limit for getting Washington plates.

Drive slow for awhile -- lots of red light runners.

Watch for speed limit and traffic light light cameras --- more are showing up. Huge money makers.

Keep an eye out for those who are driving "DWO".

OK, serious over.

You will like this area. I assume that you are a good snow driver. Not too cold here.

If I see you, I will go the opposite direction......( joke ).

I will honk.

Yeah, get a club/alarm for your car and don't leave tools in it.. I was one of the unlucky ones recently. I do the same thing (mobile mechanic) and I left all my stuff in my wagon's trunk, covered up with dirty doggie blankets and towels, but still someone figured it was something valueable and took my whole car! finally found it 3 weeks later not far from the spot, and it was stripped clean. :banghead: 1990 subaru legacy, stock.

It will be lifted eventually, and since I am broke and cheap, I did not have any theft coverage, so I am rebuilding my tool collection, very slowly now. :(

welcome to the 'hood, see you around!

I am over in the western edge of Ballard.

• Like 1

Welcome to the neighborhood!

It is generally a nice place, and there are lots of us in the area! I'm sure you'll see plenty of awesome subarus around!

Definitely heed the warnings though. Tools are not safe in a car overnight. I'm not one of the unfortunate ones who has had stuff stolen, but am not the least bit surprised to hear that it has happened a lot lately in this area. Its a damned shame.

Other than that though, you're in a great spot!

i dont leave much in my car, but a 1/4 socket set, a pair of channel locks, and a multi-bit screwdriver set. i used to leave tools in my car, but i came from a considerably worse area (dayton, ohio) and i have gotten used to not leaving anything i dont want stolen at home.

with any luck, they catch the jerk stealing tools and subaru's.

do you guys have any cheap anti-theft tricks for your EA82's?

whenever i used to leave my car at river drop in points when i would go kayak, i used to pocket the fusible links... but id rather do something more discreet, like a toggle switch to kill the ecu power, or maybe put the switch inline on the power for the fusibles.

Welcome to seattle!

I've lived here all my life, I love it here. Lots of different climates within a days drive.

I will def keep you in mind when I need repairs. I moved into an apartment in ballard recently which put a hamper on the amount of work I can do :(

I drive a blue 84 gl wagon with a roo bar and extra set of lights, maybe i'll see ya around.

-chris

do you guys have any cheap anti-theft tricks for your EA82's?

Pull the solenoid wire from the back of the starter. Maybe pull the #5 fuse, or go underneath and unplug the fuel pump(or the relay under the dash)

Maybe go as far as pulling the battery. Here in milwaukee, i have had the battery stolen out of my car 3 times. I make a habit of removing the battery if the car is parked in the alley for a week. But then someone comes and steals the wheel. May as well take the wheels off overnite...

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to N.Seattle! My green 97 sedan was stolen Jan 16, police just recovered it a couple days ago parked in the Ravenna area. Whoever stole it had used a key :angry:  I guess I should be happy it wasn't damaged, just filthy and stuff in trunk was stolen...I'm going to get "The Club" for both of my Subarus, I've heard a helluva lot of them are being stolen around here :( at least they're somewhat of a deterrant....

Edited by kriss