Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87.5 XT GL-10 headlight operation

I have the above-mentioned car, and it only runs with the hi-beams; I can't figure out how to put it in low-beam mode. The owner's manual for this year shows four switches for the light pod, but my car has only three (and the manual also doesn't mention the headlight washer button that my car has). Pulling and pushing on the passing light/turn signal lever does nothing when the lights are on (but the lights do flash properly if the light switch is off).

Does anybody know how my headlights are supposed to work? Was the flash-to-pass/turn signal replaced with the wrong part at some point? Or is something else not working properly?

If it won't click back to low beam, then the multi function (turn signal) switch is bad and needs to be replaced. I have the same car. Pulling back should lock it to low beam and it should pull back and release for flash to pass. Pushing if forward puts on the hi beams.

FYI you have the oddball XT. The 87.5 was considered the "unicorn" XT but we seem to discover more and more.

More XT specific XT info at subaruxt.com.

You could always try the magic trick of extending the steering wheel all the way out and slamming it forward. Sometimes fixes the issue. Worked for my flashers... Btw the 88 FSM is available for download on the above website

Subaru's and many other japanese vehicles of the era used switched earth headlight systems.

This means headlight switch operates relay to earth for low beam operation,Steering column switch supplies an earth to operate what is known as the changeover relay only.This relay provides the earth for high beam and at the same time open circuits the earth for low beam in dual headlight vehicles to extinguish low beam.

With quad headlight models low beam is usually the outers and remains energised as the relay fitted to these models does not open circuit the low beam circuit so that you have all four lights on for high beam.

Your problem may be the changeover relay.

Thanks for the input. I much prefer the standard pull/push beam changer to the older XT's pod buttons. I'll have a look at it when I'm done putting the front suspension back together, I guess; I only just noticed it now because I've only driven the car once and have never run the headlights before.

Given this car's condition, apparent history, and spotty aftermarket support, it wouldn't surprise me if its multifunction switch had been replaced with the incorrect previous model's switch that lacks the hi/lo beam changer.

When I bought the car it came with two new front CV axles in the trunk. Of course, they're the wrong style (23-spline w/2 bands), so I'll probably hawk them on eBay. Pretty much every auto parts place lists the wrong CV axle for my 5-speed turbo model (they all say I need the 23-spline 2-band while the existing axles and FSM says 25-spline 3-band axles), so it wouldn't surprise me if they peddle the wrong multifunction switch as well.

Specifying the automatic transmission for my car when ordering also yields the correct axles... usually: on a couple occasions a supplier has had the wrong axle in the box. I guess having several different options for the same car is confusing for some.

Anyway, looks like the light issue is the changer switch: the lever doesn't reliably catch it. However, with the lower steering column removed, the backside of the switch is accessible and has a protrusion that can be flipped to toggle the lights. So I guess I'll just not use hi-beams until I fix the switch.

Unrelated, I can actually drive the car now. w00t.

• 3 weeks later...
Eh? I had a xt6 trans in my 86 XT with 89 xt6 4eat axles, zero issues

No, you just got the right axle by mistake. The parts stores get the axles for these things more mixed up than a hyper active bartender on crack.

XT6 axles are DEFINATELY different, and will not fit a regular, 4cyl XT, or any Subaru with the 4x140 bolt pattern.

No, you just got the right axle by mistake. The parts stores get the axles for these things more mixed up than a hyper active bartender on crack.

XT6 axles are DEFINATELY different, and will not fit a regular, 4cyl XT, or any Subaru with the 4x140 bolt pattern.

I believe you but if that's the case ill be pissed, I need to put those in my xt6 in the next coming weeks

The 87.5 is a different creature. I have replaced axles several times and the XT6 MT axles fit. Sorry, but you can't argue with reality. 2 different manufacturers totaling 5 axles so it's not a 'mix-up'. All but one under warranty and my driving doesn't help their life span. lol Any word on your headlight issue?

The 87.5 is a different creature. I have replaced axles several times and the XT6 MT axles fit.

You cannot use the XT6 axles unless you have, 5-lug, XT6 hubs. Period.

87.5 is no different. I have 87, 88, and 89 XT FSM's....and they are ALL in agreement about this. The 5 lug cars use a different outer spindle.

Okay...this isn't a pissing contest.  But there isn't any room on this one for opinions, or "in my experience"

It's pretty cut and dry......any year XT. 

4cyl XT axles WILL NOT FIT an XT6

XT6 axles WILL NOT FIT a 4cyl XT

This is a differenence in the OUTER end. Were it goes through the hub.  4 lug vs. 5 lug is TOTALLY different.

There is also a difference between 4cyl turbo, and 4cyl non-turbo axles.....this being the 23/25 spline difference.

MDCC, and SkiShop, it's not your fault for the confusion, the parts stores screw this one up all the time.  I'm sure they told you you were getting XT6 axles, but what you really got was 4cyl XT turbo (or 4EAT trans) axles.

Just trying to keep the record straight for those that will use this as a tool later.

I know that... I'm not getting pissy or even offended. I just can't see three manufacturers having it wrong and having had this car for over 10 years now I know there are many odd things about it. I was going to check with my buddy at subaru and have him check the part numbers. There is no 'listing' for the XT GL10, but there is a 'window' for production dates and that's where the problem lies. The GL10 is in that 'window' and if you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you get the wrong parts for it. Most places that are aftermarket don't even know about it. I wish I had pulled the axles from my 6 before I sold it. When I get to the shop tomorrow, I'll give him a call. I only debate things I am certain about, and will concede when I'm wrong.

"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man!"  - Fletch

I have never owned an '87 "XT GL-10", but I have owned an '85, '86, '87, 2 '88s, and a '92 4-lug EA82s, They all had the exact same hub and bearing design. I do not believe, for one single instant, that subaru completely redesigned their 4-lug hubs to use the not-yet-in-production 5-lug axles for half a model year, and then went back.

4-lug:

SB8005.jpg

5-lug:

SB8016.jpg

Based on the picture you have posted, I would have to concede I was wrong. Damn mis-catalogged parts. The 4 lug axle would be for a floating hub, tapered bearing set up and the 5 lug would be for a floating or captured hub, caged roller bearing. I am certain my GL10 has the tapered bearings. I think I'm going to go find the guy who wrote and screwed up the original interchange catalog... :flame-thrower: