Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I reuse valve cover grommets?

Long story short back when I was chasing misfires I ended up finding out it was the plug wires but the rubber part that goes over the ceramic part of the plug broke off and I had to be creative (out in the rain) to pull that rubber part off to get the new wires on..

OK so at that point the gaskets had only been on maybe 4 months or so, however I used DNJ gaskets and I've got to replace it again but I wonder if it's ok to use the grommets? I just need the gasket for the RH side and given my leak rate I'd like to do this sometime this week..

btw I think the bolt sizes are 8 or 10 mm?

i would re-use them. they can go bad from age, hardened and cracked, but it's not like they get crushed where they wont work again once installed. If thay are still flexible, they are still usable.

If in doubt, put a little ultra grey on them.

Oh well I ended up just ordering a set that includes everything

I'm almost certain the bolts are 10 mm right? I know the lower one closest to the firewall the only way to get to that one is with a box wrench at least from what I can tell.

I use a snap-on or gearwrench "rotohead" ratchet and basically have the ratchet head in the palm of my hand to make sure I don't overtighten them. They bottom out all of a sudden and the torque spec isn't much.

You can individual order them from rockauto, as I had to do recently. I reused a bunch on the EJ20G engine I have, but it has been sitting around for about 8 years without being used. I ended up having a lot of those grommets leaking.

Saw that but I haven't used rockauto in awhile now I kinda just use them for part numbers and copy it over to amazon, if rock auto did not charge for shipping at each warehouse it ships from I'd have no issue but it adds up..

Plus I wanted to take advantage of my prime membership at Amazon so I figured why not.

• 2 weeks later...