Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Parts - 95 Legacies

So, my 95 Legacy wagon died a little while ago. 384,000 miles - no complaints at all. I got lucky (knock on wood) and just bought a 95 Legacy sedan from someone on Craigslist. 140,000 miles, 5-speed, $1300. Mechanically, the engine feels smooth, the clutch was recently replaced, the tires need to be replaced, and one of the front boots is torn. No biggie.

Two swapping questions. The blower fan only operates on either 1 or 4 - i.e. putting it on 2 or 3 stays at 1 speed, then it goes to full blast on 4. Where iIs this likely something I can swap from my wagon? Would it be at the switch, or somewhere buried behind the dash? I've replaced stereos in it before, so I'm comfortable getting in there a little bit.

Second, the "new" one doesn't have cruise control. Can that be swapped over. Or I guess I should ask, how hard would that be to do?

Adam

Yes and Yes

Fan is most likely the resistor pack down in the ducting behind the glove box.

Cruise can be swapped you will need the switches, unit and plumbing and the computer and also the Switch in the dash and steering column. If it you can get it all out of your old car then you can get it into your new car.

what he said - it's the resistor pack that's failed and if your original car was also a manual transmission the cruise swaps over just fine.

if your original car was an automatic then you'll need to source a cruise control computer for a manual trans for the new legacy as they are specific to manual or auto's.

Well, I don't know if I'd call it easy, but I was able to do it and it works. :) That was a pretty tight area to be working in, especially upside down on my back! If there was an easier way to get to it, please don't tell me.

I think I'm going to hold off a bit on trying to swap the cruise control - that looks pretty involved. They're both manuals, but it's a lot for someone at my skill level.

Thanks for the advice.

the resistors are always right down around the blower fans, easy. can probably google it and find an image...

Well, I don't know if I'd call it easy, but I was able to do it and it works. :) That was a pretty tight area to be working in, especially upside down on my back! If there was an easier way to get to it, please don't tell me.

I think I'm going to hold off a bit on trying to swap the cruise control - that looks pretty involved. They're both manuals, but it's a lot for someone at my skill level.

Thanks for the advice.

I have replaced the blower motor before on a 91 Leggie. Yes, it is pretty much an upside down on your back kind of job. No easier way to do it. I hope you moved back the passenger seat as far back as possible to give you some extra room at the firewall.