Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, so I'm stupid.

No need to get all wishy washy about it.

I assumed the outer ticks in the Cam sprockets lined up with the lines on the belt.

I also assumed the Arrow on the crankshaft sprocket needed to be vertical...

I turned it over by hand a dozen times to make certain there was no interference...

...then pinned her back up with all fluids, etc.

Won't start.

I will try to remember to report back now that I have read enough to know that it's 45 degrees out.

Cannot afford to have messed this up (no job, no money...no way to get to a job)...

Line her back up and you'll be good to go hopefully.

I'm sure you are now...but make certain you're using the right marks.

Interference/bent valves is only a possibility on EJ25's or 97 and later EJ22's.

Earlier EJ22's and all EJ18's are non-interference so no worries.

You should be fine. Those SOHC EJ25's are easy to do. You can easily knock a timing belt only out in 30 minutes to an hour.

I know someone that did assemble and EJ25 which had no interference upon assembly and yet did once it was running and under load. But his was for different reasons (mixing and matching blocks/heads) and actually ran and you could hear it. I'm not versed enough to know why an engine would turn over by hand but then have issues when running...heating/expanding maybe?

You should be fine. Those SOHC EJ25's are easy to do. You can easily knock a timing belt only out in 30 minutes to an hour.

I know someone that did assemble and EJ25 which had no interference upon assembly and yet did once it was running and under load. But his was for different reasons (mixing and matching blocks/heads) and actually ran and you could hear it. I'm not versed enough to know why an engine would turn over by hand but then have issues when running...heating/expanding maybe?

I had something like that.. but it was odd.. I did not turn over because this time my timing was alined right so I went and pulled the pin..

So I started it up and I got this tapping sounded that matched the rpms.. sounded like contact, I know my car's ECU does odd things when it has to learn new like giving me a bunch of BS codes that I've never seen before and they never come back.

Long story short I never heard the sound again.. I might of made a youtube video..

Didn't actually start...just cranked a few times and I thought I'd be better off actually looking it up (here and a few other places).

Was and am hoping that it'll work!

Edited by Pugsley
work! didn't show up...