Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommended Maint. W/ Clutch Job

Hey so first post here, so excuse my noobness! Just picked up a 95 Legacy Wagon and with 206k.

It's going to need a new clutch and I was wondering what other maintenance items are cheap/easy/recommended to be done at the same time?

I was thinking:

-Shifter Bushings?

-Motor/Trans Mounts?

I also want to have the timing belt done because I don't know when/if it was done before I bought it.

Thanks!

You may want to make sure the clutch fork is in good shape when you do the clutch I had mine wear through and it snapped on me. Not very common from what I hear but hey it happened to me. The fork just pops off its just held on by a clip. Also use new clips for the throw out bearing they are cheap at the dealer. Its pretty easy to do the clutch on these cars though. I personaly like using exedy clutch kits.

I would also install a TSK-1 Transmission Quill Sleeve Kit:

http://www.smart-service.com/store-tranquil-sleeve-kit.html

The transmission quill (snout) was badly grooved on my 2000 Forester, well before 100k miles. Also put a good amount of lithium grease on your new throwout bearing. The difference between before and after the sleeve kit is AMAZING. The car felt like new with a properly functioning clutch and pedal feel was much, much better, along with smooth engagements and disengagements.

I know they are $155, but I would never replace a clutch on a Subaru without adding one. Worth every penny.

Also, it comes with a throwout bearing and a improved retainer clip. So don't bother buying the Subaru parts. Maybe just a new clutch fork. Also replace any seals that happen to be leaking. I replaced the O-ring on the #4 cylinder wrist pin access hole on the back of my block, which was seeping oil.

I think they pretty well covered what's needed.

IMO the need for the sleeve is really rare - personally I wouldn't order it until I needed it.

Trans mounts seem to never go bad on Subaru's.

Clutch kit prices can vary a lot for Subaru's. One of the few kits I order online(but still a quality clutch) rather than from a local parts store (independent or chain).