Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello Everyone

Yes, I'm new to the board but I fear I've come to late. Our beloved 93 Loyale wagon "Brownie" has fallen on hard times and I fear her time may be up. But this isn't the place for that. Also have an 01 Outback which we love. I look forward to studying the combined wisdom of you all and perhaps be of some help (doubtful) if I can. Best to all, Peter

I can't believe the first response to my post is from Miles Fox! ( I'm easily impressed ) No, seriously Miles, your Art Of Subaru Maintenance videos are great! I was looking at pulling Brownie's motor doing seals maybe the clutch, etc.That was a couple years ago. Been dripping slightly but running very well this whole time. The motors been real noisy for sometime. Seemed like more of a knock than a tick, but as a third work car I was going with just keep driving it.

The biggest problem is rust. She'll never pass inspection, frankly I'm worried about the rear wheels falling off, so I'm not inclined to spend too much money or time for that matter on her.I've fiberglassed up the doors and quarter panels, the rockers are shot,I'm sure you know all the spots. In an effort to be safe the brakes have been recently done, the exhaust from the Y-pipe back is a couple years old. Anyway, leaving the driveway the other day the oil light came on, I hate idiot lights, I wish I'd had a pressure gauge, so I backed into a spot in front of the shed and been driving my 99 Volvo V70 since. I'm torn about losing her, but I'm buying a truck soon and I think Brownie's got to go. I'd like to think there's something there of value to someone like you so if you have specific questions or want some pictures let me know. If figured someone close by might come have a look. I'll give more details on request. Thanx for your interest Miles, I'll tell Brownie, I'm sure she'll be pleased...... Peter

Edited by peter m

The oil light could simply be a loose wire to the oil pump sender. check that first.

IF the car ultimately fails or folds in half, it is still worth salvaging some parts are worth it if you intend on finding another one of these cars, or to put up for sale locally as subarus are rarer on the east side of the continent.

I could imagine you are concerned the trailing arms will fold up with the rust as you describe. Too bad as far as the car could last as long as it hasnt't rusted out. At least you got to enjoy it and that matters most.