Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking noise at low speed turning

epix

My Brat seems to be making a clunking noise (sounds sort of like a horse trot) when turning at low speed, it is even more noticeable when turning left as compared to turning right. I looked at the left CV Joint and the boot is attached and looks "OK" to me, the right CV Joint the boot is off so will be replacing the boot and adding more grease.

What else could be causing the clunking type noise at low speed when turning left? Is it common for the wheel bearings to go bad on EA81s?

Thanks

Edited by epix

CV joints can be worn out without the boots being ripped. Much less common, but it does happen. It sounds like a very rapid "click-click-click-click" when you turn sharply at 0-10 mph and give it gas (like pulling in and out of parking spaces).

Bad wheel bearings can also make noise, but they tend to make noise if you drive along at 10-15 mph and turn suddenly (sudden, but not an extreme turn. Just enough to load the bearing; I usually turn the wheel an instant quarter turn on a wide empty road or in a parking lot)

Wheel bearings are usually easy to confirm if you jack the car up and grab the top and bottom of the wheel (with the E-brake off) and try to rock it in and out. If it has noticeable play the wheel bearings are bad.

Bad CV joints will feel "crunchy" if you pull the axle out of the car and rotate the joint. The only real test you can do on the car is to grab the center shaft with one hand and the cup (either inner or outer) and twist them back and forth to see if there's rotational play. They should be tight with no noticeable play. That doesn't guarantee that they are good though

If your right CV boot is ripped I'd start there for sure. Regreasing it may or may not work, depending on how worn the joint is due to road grit getting in there. I've heard of people taking the joint apart and reversing the inner CV ball guide (not sure what to call it, the piece that splines onto the axle shaft with grooves for the balls to run in) since it should only be worn in the forward drive direction.

Half the time aftermarket CV joints are junk out of the box, so it's probably worth a try regreasing and rebooting yours.

You can check the wheel bearings before you start on the axle since you'll have it jacked up anyways.

My Brat seems to be making a clunking noise (sounds sort of like a horse trot) when turning at low speed, it is even more noticeable when turning left as compared to turning right. I looked at the left CV Joint and the boot is attached and looks "OK" to me, the right CV Joint the boot is off so will be replacing the boot and adding more grease.

What else could be causing the clunking type noise at low speed when turning left? Is it common for the wheel bearings to go bad on EA81s?

Thanks

If your c.v is what is making that noise rebooting probably wont work. Empi makes new c.v.'s for right around 80 bucks they work good.

Edited by mikaleda

,,,, Then once eveything is warmed up the sound seems to subside.:-\

Two months ago I noticed my front axles started making noise, then stopped, then started up again and realized what was happening is the clicking was happening on the colder mornings and now that it is winter my Hatch sounds like a tank clattering down the road till it warms up, you described as horse galloping down the road.

Figure the cold is effecting grease viscosity but also figure they are wearing out and sound worse due to the cold temps. I will try those Empi's everyone talks about when it is time to change them out.

My Hatch is an in town runner so I will run till near failure which is when I start feeling a constant vibration in the front or the noise is SERIOUS. The ticking is warning, heavy clunking is closer to failure.

Edited by Indrid cold