Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How heavy is a 4EAT, will it fit in the hatch?

Easily. can fit in a sedan trunk as well, just harder to get up and over. i've fit an EJ engine and transmission in a trunk before at the same time...couldn't close it but just strap the trunk lid in place.

have a pair of gloves.

Have some cardboard/old rug in the rear that you can drape over the bumper which you'll probably have anyway to keep the carpet clean and it also aids sliding the transmission around once you can get some of it's weight on the bumper/floor area.

It can be loaded, unloaded by yourself but be careful and make sure you can, it is awfully awkward and offers no range of motion since you can't hold the weight out in front of you at all. Use an engine lift or helper if you can. Or have a dolly to transport.

Weight is no big deal for the vehicle, it's comparable to two full size adults in the back or an average load on the hitch.

Yeah. Unless you are a BEAST, don't try moving it on your own unless it's on wheels. I put one in the back of my Impreza with no trouble. 236 lbs sounds about right. But it's big and awkward. I moved the TH400 trans from my suburban easier than a 4EAT.

Two people on it should work fine. And yeah. Tarps and cardboard are a must. it will leak. I put a ziploc bag and a rubber band around the tail of it to minimize this.

Yeah. Unless you are a BEAST, don't try moving it on your own unless it's on wheels. 236 lbs sounds about right. But it's big and awkward.

I'm not a "beast" and I was able to lug a 4eat around and lift it into my pickup by myself. They are hefty and hard to get a grip on without getting filth all over your clothes. It's a transmission, differential, and transfer case all in one, so it does weigh a fair bit. I'd say 200lbs is a good estimate.

I would put a board or square of plywood down on the wagon floor before dropping the transmission in. The floor over the spare tire well is not that strong and if you set the trans down on a corner of the pan you're liable to crack the floor. A board would spread the weight.

Yeah. Unless you are a BEAST, don't try moving it on your own unless it's on wheels. I put one in the back of my Impreza with no trouble. 236 lbs sounds about right. But it's big and awkward. I moved the TH400 trans from my suburban easier than a 4EAT.

Two people on it should work fine. And yeah. Tarps and cardboard are a must. it will leak. I put a ziploc bag and a rubber band around the tail of it to minimize this.

a lid from any generic spraypaint can fits in the tailshaft very well and makes a nice seal

Wondering how heavy a 4EAT trans is, and if it will fit in the hatch of my '03 outback, either answer could mean I need my (nicely low) trailer.

I recently replaced a 4EAT out of a 97 2.5Gt and lost the receipt for getting the core back. I went to a metal recycling place and according to there scales it weighed 180 LBS.

Well its still heavier than me, lol. That sounds about right though from when I did the one in my 93 legacy

Not long ago, I took a fried 2.5 motor to a wrecking yard to scrap. Was amazed that a young skinny wrecking yard worker picked up the motor from the tail gate of my OBW, and moved it over to the bucket on a front end loader all by himself. I don't know the weight of a 2.5, but something that I am unwilling to try or do.