Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Video and Pictures of our latest Off-Road run

GeneralDisorder

Myself, and Bugaru went out for some fun yesterday, and it got really nasty. Between us, I think we had to make about 8 recovery's. Not all were from really being stuck tho. A tree knot reached out and took the valve stem right out of Ian's rim, and thus a very flat tire resulted. We subsequently had to winch him up over a tree-root that his open diff (a problem which will be corrected shortly - perhaps today) wouldn't climb. I certainly got the most mud for the day, and took the prize for being stuck in the worst possible spots. The first really ugly one I tried to blast through some really thick mud, and instantly sunk up to the doors. The suction of the mud on the underbody of the rig, was too much, and I was stuck. Decided to have Ian pull me out forward so I could proceed through the next hole that was deeper than it looked, but just water this time. Sunk up past the headlights and the engine died. Ingested a good quanitity of water both in the engine, and in the cab. Really nasty mess, but since I removed the carpet after last time, it was no big deal to just pull the plugs on the floor and drain it out. I got stuck again further down the trail when I spun sideways on a log, and ended up with my front end against a shear wall of dirt, and my back tires inches away from a hole that NOTHING ever went into, and came out of under it's own power. Must have been at least 9 or 10 feet deep, and pretty snotty. It was a litteral soob swallowing abyss. Got back straight again by pressing the nose of the car against the cliff, and breaking loose all 4 tires (dropped the clutch) with Ian pulling on the rear bumper with the hatch. Worked great. With the loss of traction on the rear wheels, it just spun around like it was greased. I really wish we had got that on tape, but had run out of tape at that point. Anyway - check out the pictures, and the videos!

Pictures:

http://www.atlas4x4.com/gallery_detail.asp?album_id=4

Video:

http://www.atlas4x4.com/video.asp?gallery_id=1

No breakage this time, except Ian's tire. But that's just a valve stem, and Les Shwab will fix for free. This is why we carry a spare!

GD

Both them Soobs run really good. I'm impressed.

You all like pushin' the speed limit down them rutty roads. I'd end up in the trees if I tried that.

[hijack] I took my sister for a ride in the subaru bug, it was raining, and I was spinning at 50 mph for half a block. I let up when we started going sideways. [/ hijack]

You should talk to Bugaru - he has a bug that *had* an EA81. Now that engine is in the hatch.

Yeah - I do like to go fast down the trails - the wagon does alright. It's pretty easy to get the rear end to slide out on gravel and such with the lincoln locker. And the power steering is very nice in all conditions. I think I'm about to eat another idler pulley bearing tho. Those damn idler pully's for the PS are down close the bottom of the car, and it's always running right in the muck zone.

GD

No, I don't own a samuri,

I've got a drab olive, 85 gl wagon. I saw you by the Kitterage intersection on yeon.

I just picked up a set of 14" pug steels this weekend, and put a set of 26" wildcats under it. No lift yet, but soon to come.

Shoot me an email, aarono@shavertransportation.com I'd really like to get a close look at you're lift. Makes that hatch look tough.

I need to get out the sawzall and do a little trimming before I go wheeling though.

BTW, looks like you're running up by gunners lakes? Lots of good trails there. There's alot of good ones about 2 miles before you turn up to gunners on the right hand side of the road. We call that tunnel mainline, There are some spots that would eat a sube alive up there.

Aaron

Ah... the wagon, ok. Yeah that's the same place I saw the other guy, and somebody in a camo brat frequents that area too. Actually that corner right by the electric motor shop is where we filmed one of the urban off-road vids.

Wildcats..nice choice, mine have withstood alot of abuse, no complaints. The lift kits for the EA81's are pretty simple, if you have access to metal working tools it can be done very cheap. It's the grade 8 hardware that will get ya. I'm not sure what is all involved in lifting an EA82, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

Yeah that's Gunners Lake area, every time we go up there we seem to find somewhere new to go. Definitely some of the best trails I have ever run across. GD got to sample one of those spots you speak of, I do believe a snorkel is now on the to do list. Video coming soon......

I'll send you an email so we can meet up.

Nicky, yes some of the Urban stuff is in the NW industrial area by St. Helens highway, but there is a few other choice spots up north of St. Johns, and even more places I have my eye on, with... possible jumps.:brow: Get ahold of GD or me if you want to check em out sometime.

Totally - you should come up here sometime Sean.

One thing you have to understand is how many people look, and wave at our rigs when we are around town. Hard to remember everyone. I do take more notice of the people in soobs tho.... but it's getting so that I don't notice the attention as much. I did notice the truck with two women in it that held a hand written note up to the window that read "Your Cute!" as I was rolling down the freeway.....:cool:

GD

Nicky, yes some of the Urban stuff is in the NW industrial area by St. Helens highway, but there is a few other choice spots up north of St. Johns, and even more places I have my eye on, with... possible jumps.:brow: Get ahold of GD or me if you want to check em out sometime.

will do ;)

in fact I was out at the impound lot on marine drive by st. johns yesterday and saw quite a few possible places, probably the same ones.

its awfully deserted around there after 6:00 heh heh heh :brow: