Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling EJ22, Can't remove Flex Plate bolts...

I've done everything necessary to pull the EJ, except that I can't undo the torque converter (TC)/ Flex Plate bolts. I've tried multiple tools and entry options... Even tried going under the intake manifold (removed oil pump). Will I have to take the Intake Manifold Completely off?? Every time that I get a socket/wrench on, then put any torque on it, it just pops off or rounds a point on the head. . Can I remove the engine with the TC/Flex Plate still attached? I don't have any use for the TC, so I'm not worried about destroying it... The motor will be going into a M/T Loyale.

Thanks,

Greg

I posted this in your other thread (Which I moved to the Retrofit forum).

Theres only 4 bolts and you can access them from the hole on top of the bell housing. Its to the left as you look at the engine and may have a black rubber cover on it. I use a 12mm socket (make sure its a good 6pt one) and a 3/8 ratchet. It can be a pain to break them loose sometimes. What I have done is smack the handle of the ratchet with my hand or use a soft blow hammer.

6 point socket and a proper wrench/extension/pipe that gives you enough leverage to put some force on it...all the while, keeping the socket fully seated on the bolt head. i've never had that method fail. friend was helping me once and rounded a bolt head off when using a 12 point socket...that's a no-no on those bolts.

i've pulled motors with the torque converter attached, it can be done.

though if you don't need the flexplate i wonder if there's enough room to get in there and cut it off around the bolts.

Thanks for all that have replied.

I ended up removing the Intake Manifold (IM) (which I will probably do in the future), getting two of the bolts off the plate, and then completely rounding off the remaining two.

Bought a Dremel, and cut those babies off.

The two bottom nuts for the bell housing were my next nightmare. I couldn't get a good angle on them for the life of me. But I kept my cool and got them off.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Greg

post-42328-136027662748_thumb.jpg