Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying 09 legacy gt and have some questions

So I'm breaking down and getting a newer car. I have found an 09 legacy gtl and I love it! I've got it home tonight checking it out and just want to know if there are any typical or common problems with this model that I should look for. The only thing I have noticed is a very slight vibration in the steering wheel on the interstate. It isn't bad but is noticeable. I'm guessing its tires out of balance a little or maybe needs an alignment. The car only has 38 k miles on it so I can't imagine running into many problems, just wanted to see if anyone had any input on the model.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're doing that thing where the dealership lets you take the car home and play with it for a day or 2. If that's the case you should be able to take it back and ask them to look into the vibration, fix the problem, and even run a carfax report for you.

If that's not the case, take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over. It can cost a few dollars but is well worth it.

I haven't bought it yet, it is a one owner lease return and is in great condition from what I can tell. The small vibration could just be normal it is barley noticeable and could just be the road and tires. Vargas is clear on it and it does have warranty left on it. Previous owner was in is 40's and kept the car stock something that will change of I buy it (how can I say no to an intake and exhaust when it sounds so much better lol)

If it's a non-turbo then you want to look for external headgasket leaks, usually oil, under the engine where the heads meet the block.

If it's a turbo - synthetic oil is required by Subaru and necessary.

Then 200,000 miles here you come.

Some 2009's have a catalytic converter issue too - a recall. Not sure which models it affects, but it's a recall so shouldn't be a big deal, just something to google or ask.

The 2009 through 2009 Legacy GT, like my family's Outback XT, has a turbo, which is why I mentioned that intake modifications require a tune (to prevent running too lean and causing damage). After some early turbo failures due to lubrication problems, Subaru revised its maintenance schedule for your model to say that synthetic oil is required, and that it should be changed every 3,750 miles. Also, these engines require premium fuel. This should be an enjoyable car to drive, but don't expect good fuel mileage, especially around town and on very short trips. It should be OK on the highway, though. Your turbo lets you have the power of a larger engine, at the cost of burning fuel like a larger engine.