Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower motor resistor

I have an 84 GL 1.8L hatchback that had the cabin blower motor quit a few weeks back. I just got hold of a Haynes manual and a replacement resistor, but I can't find the resistor under the passenger side ducting. With so many different models listed in the Haynes, does anyone have a picture or a description specific to my model that they might be able to help out?

Ya sure we do...The resistor is on the bottom of the blower moter.Take of all the plastic flashing from around the passengers feet.There's probley a shelf and one more piece of flashing.Once you open everything up you will see a accordian sort of deal that hooked the blower to the heater itself.Now on the borrom of the blower there should be the resistor held in with 3 screws and a plug in.Is the resistor you speak of have 3 wire loops in it? The one am discribing does....Hope this is helpful.If not let me know And If not me someone will have the answer.Take care n stay warm,Todd PS did you check the fuses? and sometimes things get stuck in the fan.Take of the accordian thing off and have a look inside,might need a mirror.. anyway we'll get it figured out

If the blower quit entirely, it is not the resistor. The resistor only gives you slower speeds. The highest speed bypasses the resistor entirely.

If the fuses are all OK, I suspect the blower relay. If this were a Loyale, it would be above the driver's feet, buried deep in the dashboard.

I had one that would fail when it got warm. It would run fine until the car warmed up, then quit. It would take hours to come back. Replacing the relay fixed it.

Good luck.