Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waterwagon IV

Ratty2Austin

Yep, they are zip ties- they are tied to little self-adhesive zip-tie tie-points (little square plastic pads with loops for zip ties!) and they just stick to the window trim :) so far has held up against highway speed, rain, and even some branches hitting it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

another update... got some more metal goodies from SJR!! (I still need to paint it, and add my splash/skid pan but here is the first look!)

smugshot_3919068-L.jpg

smugshot_9030548-L.jpg

oh, and here is a night (cell phone) photo of my HID headlights on the highway... they work pretty well :)

smugshot_1560274-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

and now for a little action shots- I took it up to Evans Creek, and realized how important it is to have a dual range, and extra nuts and bolts (neither of which I had on this trip, but I made due and will return properly prepared next time!)

smugshot_2032609-L.jpg

smugshot_9022557-L.jpg

smugshot_315343-L.jpg

smugshot_7273051-L.jpg

the thing I had trouble with, was my lift bolt that holds the forward swing arm link for the rear suspension came out! I had to "borrow" a bumper bolt from the rear bumper and a lug nut to make it out of there!! fortunately, I made it home- and found that most of the bolts in my rear suspension were loose!! lesson learned= after installing a lift kit, (especially when using air tools) make sure to go back and re-tighten all the bolts after driving a few hundred miles, so that all the parts get settled in... oops!

Edited by Ratty2Austin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

annnnd time for more pics!

Got the water tube installed! (pressurizer is not installed yet, that will come later when I figure out the best way to do it)

smugshot_5926524-L.jpg

smugshot_1893408-L.jpg

I removed the non-functional AC stuff, and swapped out my transmission finally for the D/R!!

smugshot_9131085-L.jpg

(USDM single range AWD on the left, JDM D/R on the right) I was part way thru swapping the mounting pieces, etc..

smugshot_1659040-L.jpg

my girlfriend and my dog tested out the "camping mode" of the roofrack, while I worked on a friends car... haha

smugshot_9257938-L.jpg

My interior is also being converted into more utility/camping too-

smugshot_8087510-L.jpg

smugshot_7335205-L.jpg

now, I just need to either find JDM D/R linkage for the trans, or make something myself... hmmm.....  I also need outback shift linkage (is it slightly longer than legacy stock? I have trouble shifting into 2nd due to the angle created by the installing of the lift kit)

yes, solar shower was the idea behind it, but also, have you ever been out wheelin or campin, or working on the car and you just wanted some water to wash up with that was close by? it has been very handy already and i have not even used it as a shower yet :)   (also, when you need water for the dog, yourself or the radiator, it's there!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey man, great looking car and nice build! Love the water tube! Did you get the D/R linkage done? I'm expecting my JDM D/R tomorrow :)

But DUDE... I would TOTALLY redo that steering shaft!! That's absolutely the LAST piece on a vehicle that I would want questionable welds on! I have done a few myself and always extend with a pipe that fits over the factory shaft stubs, pin it, AND weld it. With cold water rags on the joints to keep from baking them.

Hey man, great looking car and nice build! Love the water tube! Did you get the D/R linkage done? I'm expecting my JDM D/R tomorrow :)

But DUDE... I would TOTALLY redo that steering shaft!! That's absolutely the LAST piece on a vehicle that I would want questionable welds on! I have done a few myself and always extend with a pipe that fits over the factory shaft stubs, pin it, AND weld it. With cold water rags on the joints to keep from baking them.

Thanks :)  nope still have not finished the DR linkage... been busy with work and moving to an apartment (with no garage :(  )  as far as the steeering goes- yeah, I should probably build a spare with better welds, but hey, it has not broken yet, and I even tested it full force - (I smacked into a stump with the passenger side wheel, bending the A arm, AND my rim. steering works fine still ;)

I should update this thread... hmm... where did those photos go?

Photos! (from WCSS15)

IMG_1488-L.jpg

IMG_1487-L.jpg

IMG_1642-L.jpg