Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(ej22) rear wrist-pin access cover o-ring?

Hi, I was recently doing some research on possible rear oil leak locations for an ej22 and came across this video which I did find quite helpful.

Before I was mainly thinking rear main, but now I guess it could be that or the oil separator plate, or this access cover o-ring that this guy mentions in the video. If you see on that particular motor he's servicing there is a leak coming from the access cover, and he mentions that the o-ring for it likely failed.

I've been trying to find out if there's a specific Subaru part # for that o-ring, or atleast some aftermarket replacements, but no luck so far.

I won't know for sure if that's where my leak is coming from until I pull the motor sometime soon when time allows, but if that is my problem, or part of it, I'd like to be ready to fix it then.

Edited by blues

order it from Subaru. stop in, email one of the online jokers, call them, etc. they'll look it up.

subaru has a site called opposed forces, google that and you can likely find the part number.

unlikely, i've never seen one leaking, but sounds like a plan to have it in case. the leaks are always the oil separator plate.

Make sure you have a new PCV valve, to make sure crankcase pressures aren't excessive and pushing more oil out than necessary. Might want to try that first in case you get lucky and it reduces the oil leak.

Very little oil could leak from the access cover, it being so high up on the block. But anything's possible.

In either case.

Part # 806931020 or 1070.

For future ref: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/

also link to fsm.http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

You would be surprised at how much can leak from that stupid o-ring.

New o-rings are only $2 or so at the dealer, they usually keep them in stock. Worst case, that cover could also be sealed with Ultra Grey RTV or Anaerobic sealer.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Very little oil could leak from the access cover, it being so high up on the block. But anything's possible.

In either case.

Part # 806931020 or 1070.

For future ref: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/

also link to fsm.http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

I found the part and a diagram on there, but now I'm not sure which of those part #'s to get. I see the -1020 part listed and right under it the -1070 part listed as an alternate? Is one maybe an updated part?

Either one works. Even if you give the dealer an old part number, their parts database will automatically bring up the most recent part number that supercedes it.

That o ring is the same across the entire range of EJ series engines, just go to the dealer or call and tell them you need the o-ring for the rear wrist pin access cover. They'll be able to find it.

I don't even bother with the o-ring. The plate and block are flat and there is plenty of surface area for Anaerobic flange sealant. I just leave the old o-ring in place and use the same flange sealant that I use on the separator plate. This will not fail down the line like the buna-n o-rings you will get at the dealer. If you must use an o-ring source a Viton replacement. I get Viton o-rings for things like the phase-I SOHC cam tower/distributor cover from McMaster-Carr, etc. There should be a Parker store in your area somewhere (Fluid Connector Products here in PDX) and they should be able to match up any o-ring for you in Viton, or Silicone, etc.

GD

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post a quick update for future visitors.

I almost knew for a fact that my [plastic] oil separator plate was leaking, and it was pretty bad actually, but the wrist pin o-ring was indeed leaking too. I took the cover off and for a second I thought the old o-ring was part of the cover, that's how old/hard/crusty the rubber was. Took the corner of a razor blade, started chipping at the old o-ring (not the inside edge of the cover), and [crusty] piece by [crusty] piece she came out.

I ended up ordering a new o-ring from a Subaru dealer online, fits like a gloves :)

For the record, this was on an EJ22E w/ around 130k miles. I'm doing seals and "while you're in there" stuff all around too, btw.