Ultimate Subaru Message Board
mightGETaSUBARU

98 legacy outback wagon... sits too tall, need some ideas

Hello all... I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy outback wagon, and man it sits high... anyways I would like to look into lowering it a bit, and I would prefer to scavenge the struts and springs from another Subaru if possible.

The only thing I know so far is that the Outback package had taller springs, taller struts and some weird spacers on the subframes...

Help?

you can buy pre loaded struts for regular non-outback legacy. Be usre to save the original parts as people are always looking for outback springs.

Yeah just swap in a set of strut assemblies from a regular Legacy, or even any 02-07 WRX strut assembly would bolt in as well. That will lower it a good 2.5" and then you will need smaller tires, and that will lower it even more. You don't need to worry about removing the body spacers. Just get an alignment as you would after normally changing struts, and you're good to go.

If I could afford the downtime I'd swap you for my Legacy L stuff.

I maybe new to this forum, BUT I do have positive feedback on other forums for both sales and trades, also a well established paypal account and an active ebay sellers account, all in good standing

I have some rear struts from a 1997 Legacy GT with something like 20K miles on them I'll sell cheap if interested. Plus a pair of new/never installed top mounts.

Edited by john in KY

I maybe new to this forum, BUT I do have positive feedback on other forums for both sales and trades, also a well established paypal account and an active ebay sellers account, all in good standing

its not a question of you, I don't currently have another vehicle to drive while the swap took place, at least not without putting the gen1 forester stuff on my car for a few days. Pm me and we can talk if you want.

its not a question of you, I don't currently have another vehicle to drive while the swap took place, at least not without putting the gen1 forester stuff on my car for a few days. Pm me and we can talk if you want.

ok cool, I will msg you after work. :)

No difference in springs between legacy and Outback, just taller struts.

You can swap in any Legacy struts from 95-99, Impreza struts from 93-07. They all fit the same. WRX or STI struts will be shorter than standard Impreza struts, and will have stiffer springs. You may want to remove the cross member spacers for ground clearance under the oil pan, but its not totally necessary.

No difference in springs between legacy and Outback, just taller struts.

You can swap in any Legacy struts from 95-99, Impreza struts from 93-07. They all fit the same. WRX or STI struts will be shorter than standard Impreza struts, and will have stiffer springs. You may want to remove the cross member spacers for ground clearance under the oil pan, but its not totally necessary.

If he uses 93-01 Impreza struts he will need to change the rear top hat.

Im doing this well already have except i went the opposite way i used the outback struts form a 98 on a 95 legacy anything i should watch for or also change. Other than the alignment once im done.

i have a complete set of legacy wagon struts and springs i will sell for 150 plus shipping. i removed to install forester struts because i wanted to be taller.....

ok, this post is 1 year old...duh

Edited by natetru

So any good Forester or Legacy struts still for sale? I kinda killed mine. Well time and miles did. 290k mi. Using it like a 3/4 ton 4x4 might not have been nice either. 1998 2.2 legacy L. Looking to go a bit taller or stronger I should say.