Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake Manifold Bolts?

could put them in some parts cleaner or wire brush them and coat the threads good, and clean out the threads in the heads so your new bolts don't pick up old contaminants.

or possibly someone on here could send you some?

i've replaced them before and the places I went never had the right length, of course I could get close enough to work with.

Wire wheel does the trick.

What you will find at the hardware store or anywhere else is that 1.25 thread bolts are hard to come by and impossible in any appreciable length. These bolts are rusty because they thread into the water passage on the heads. Coat them liberally with anti-seize compound

Those of us in the Seattle area have "Stoneway Hardware". They have a broad selection of metric hardware: fine, coarse, small head, heat treated, studs, set screws, nuts (right hand & left hand nuts), stainless and so forth. Last time that I checked, the M8-1.25 bolts (grade 8.8) were available up to 110mm long.

It is the biggest little hardware store in Seattle. This is where we save ourselves. The weekends always have European cars and bikes filtering in and out of the parking lot.

It's hard to tell from the pics but are the threads the exact same pitch and shape? I'd rather clean up the old ones than risk an unknown quality of hardware - do they feel smooth when screwed in? (I might well be wrong but they don't look the same to me even with my specs on!).

I'll have to check on those ??s, one thing is for sure though the two short ones or ones on the ends were not near as tight as the long ones.

I ordered replacements from the Subaru dealership here in town, should be the same quality. I hope anyway....

I just felt like the ones I pulled out had to much pitting in them to be real trust worthy down the road. When it's been said on here that it is a b....tch to get them out if they break.

I've seen some bolts over the years that were less compromised fail, in different uses of course, my dad always told me that if it looked like it might fail...go ahead and replace it cause you probably will later anyway.

Edited by Dinky26