Ultimate Subaru Message Board

voltage to high

Got a 1990 loyale sohc tbi been runnin great for along time. Started her up and heard a weird vibrating buzzing noise with slight vibration, volt gauge in dash goes up with rpms. At 3k rpm its hitting the top at 18 volts. Heater revs up with motor. Battery tested fine. I'm thinking the alt? Its always been a bit squeaky cause the bearing but some input would be sweet. Thanks.

Yup, I had a similar thing happen a month or two ago for me. Except with me, the volts would go up with the RPMs, but after a couple minutes, it'd sit at ~8 volts. Replacing the alternator fixed the problem.

I believe I have a thread entitled "EA82 Alternator Upgrade." That's another thing you can do; swap out the alternator with a more powerful one. At O'Reilly, a 1990 Nissan Maxima alternator is like $2 cheaper than one for a '90 Loyale. So if you're changing alternators, and you're willing to modify the wiring, pulley, and maybe the mounting for a more powerful alternator, go for it.

I never did upgrade my alternator though.

I have worked on cars for over 45 years(Man am I that old?) and untill I met a Subaru I had never seen a car or truck OVERCHARGE...They would just stop charging.Kind of nice with a subie,If your in a jam you can turn on everything ,rear defrost,heater fan ect and make it home.When they quit charging you were screwed.Just hope your battery had enough juice to get ya home and if its dark....forget it !!...You kids have it soooooooo easy !! HaHa,,Todd

Man I love this forum! Lol people actualy reply with help instead of leavin me hangin, I was lucky to find an alt in stock, by the time I got home the battery was almost boiling. Took me five mintes to swap in. Now the car runs even better than before and there's something shiny under the hood to look at haha:grin: thanks for the help!

The sooner to replace an overcharging alt the better. Glad you were able to get one. If you have or know anybody with jumper cables, might want to carry them around for a couple of days till you're sure your battery survived the ordeal.

As I stated previously, I've had a battery explode once...not fun lol so good you got the alt changed!

Jumping a overcharging battery is playing with dynamite..The fumes from a charging battery is explosive !!Fumes from a overcharged battery is SCARY !!..I have not seen it but i have heard the storys and know there true..... so just be super carefull with any kind of spark around them.I always turn my head when I hook up to a battery..Just out of habbit ,After my cousin had one blow up right in his face.Temporyly blinded him and bad face rash..It was bad...so be carefull... they will EXPLODE !!!!Live to be old...Cause you'll get there and wish you would have .....haha,Todd