Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about buying this 84 wagon.

Only 140,000 mile's and its a runner. The rusted out rocker's won't effect the stuctural integrity of the body will it?

Compared to rust belt cars that one is pretty solid. The pinch weld behind the rocker sills are where the structure is ast.

Inspect the rear wheel wells where the shck tower meets the body, and where the seatbelt bolt comes through.

Check the framerails just ahead of the radius rod mounts where it curves up along the firewall.

Inspect for rust-through on the seams of the rear trailing arms.

I would wager that any rust that may be present is tolerable and even worth repairing, as i would doubt it is as bad as the average midwestern soob in driveable condition.

If there is no rust on the shock tower than go for it. Any signs of rust through give it a pass, as there will always be better examples in the northwest

UK cars rust like crazy too - salted roads and lots of rain! My wheel arches were in a terrible state!

shocking%20%27repair%27%20017_zpsb49096e7.jpg

shockingrepair018_zpsfd9c7889.jpg

Our annual mandatory road-worthiness test called the MOT considers all sills (rockers panels) on unitary construction cars (non-chassis or unibody) to be structural and we have to repair all rust considered to be affecting the structure and/or 30 cm from a suspension mounting point.