Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Growling and it ain't my stomach...

93 Loyale, 5MT FWD.

Driving on the highway this afternoon I heard what I thought was tire noise. It was a growling sound. I thought a tire was making noise. I got off the highway onto a surface street and slowed to a stop at an intersection the growling slowed as I slowed the car. Pressing in the clutch did not change the noise. Coasting with the clutch pedal depressed did not alter the growling.

I checked the tires and they seem to be fine. It definitely sounds like it is from the rear. I am thinking wheel bearing. Does that sound about right?

I will take it to Les Schwab tomorrow and have them take a look. If it is a wheel bearing, do they have to be replaced in pairs (e.g. both left and right) or can one corner be replaced that is bad? What price range should I expect to pay to get this fixed?

IT could possible be caused by a loose axle nut. Check that the cotter pin is present. The nut WILL back out if the WASHERS are not installed correctly. The washer is a spring washer and must be installed with the convex side towards the nut.

This can cause the rear wheel bearing to become loose (4wd), or the front hubs to strip out their splines. At least the FWD rear bearings are easy to service. JAck up the wheel and give it a wiggle. If the noise was acute i would think the front axle nut is loose.

Most likely bearings. Drive about 25mph on a smooth road that has no traffic. Slowly swerve back and forth and listen for a change in either the volume or the pitch of the growl. If it increases/changes when swerving right, it's the left bearing. Swerving left, it's the right. You only need to do the bearings on the side making the noise. I would go anywhere but Schlabby. Even if they manage to repair it correctly, they'll do it with cheap sh*t and then tell you the found 5 other 'critical' things wrong with your car. Jmtc....

My first subaru, a 91 Loyale 5MT 4WD wagon was doing the same thing. At first it was hard for me to determine which wheel was making the growling noise while driving. I just put the entire car up on jackstands, started it up in third gear while engaged in 4WD high, and then walked around and listened to each wheel as it was spinning. I quickly determined it was the left rear wheel bearing. I found that removing the trailing arm and using the hydraulic press at work to remove and replace with a new bearing was simple and fast. Make sure your subie doesn't fall off the jackstand's whatever you do.:eek:

I've also had good luck with going to the yard and pulling a trailing arm with a good, used bearing already installed. About $20 at PAP.

thats also how i used to "replace" front wheel bearings "its grinding again, back to pnp for another knuckle" now i know the tap it in trick.