Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 impreza EJ22 into '98 OBW, wiring issues

If CCR has trouble getting a harness for you, have them give me a call. I have one from a 96 Legacy, 2.2 sitting as a spare and it would get you going. Larry 719-572-3706. They helped me before and I'd be glad to return the favor.

Hey everyone,

thanks for the offer of the wiring harness lmdew. CCR found a harness off a '95 legacy that was put in the mail today. I hopefully will get it in time for this weekend, and put it on. I'll let everyone know how it all comes together.

Mike A.

Okay,

here is an update from this weekends events. for those that are counting, this is three weekends in a row, in addition to some middle of the week time.

First off, checked the intake manifold. It has the "spacers" between the block and the manifold, so I am left to assume it is a 1.8 manifold. So now I have a franken-engine with a 2.2 bottom end, and a 1.8 top end.

Snapped the '95 legacy wiring harness onto the motor, I had to modify the connectors for the knock sensor, and the throttle air control solenoid valve to make them work.

Put most of the stuff back together in the engine compartment, radiator, A/C, alternator, blah, blah blah.

I still have a problem I need help with. There is a lot of rubber air line plumbing on the right (FIF) side of the engine that the 2.5 motor does not have. There are also 2 sensors tucked under the right side of the manifold, between the manifold and the block that have rubber tubes running into and out of them, but I have no electrical connectors for them. They are both 2 wire connectors, and both have 2 rubber hoses coming in from various parts of the intake manifold.

On the inside of the right fender, the legacy has two electrical/air sensor looking things, I wonder if they are mounted to the fender on the legacy, and under the manifold on the impreza? Anyway, if anyone can identify what they are, that would be a first step. Then I can figure out how to re-plumb the motor to by-pass them. At least that is my plan right now...

The most frustrating thing about this whole thing is that my neighbor has a '95 legacy. The more I look at his motor, the more I'm convinced that swapping a '95 legacy 2.2 into a '98 legacy would be straightforward. The wiring is the same, plumbing is the same, etc. That's what I thought I would be getting from CCR. Instead, I have spent 3 weekends on what could have been a 1 weekend job. Here's my list of where CCR, in my opinion, dropped the ball.

1. They knew this motor was going into a legacy. In their defense, this swap is not a common one. Most people go the other way. However, they should have known (Hopefully) that there are big differences between impreza manifolds and legacy manifolds.

2. Wiring harness. This should have been the first tip that maybe this manifold doesn't fit right into a legacy. The 2 16 pin conector is exclusively a 1.8 thing. a 2.2 motor should never be fitted with that harness (unless it is going into a 1.8 impreza, and they knew it was going into a legacy)

Let's make it clear here that I am not on a witch hunt against the folks at CCR. CCR has been great with helping me out in solving all my problems. I have no complaint with their willingness to help, and with their customer service. I am just a bit annoyed that I have had to tap into that customer service. If I would have received the correct motor in the first place, I would never have had to give them a call to straighten all this out. The bad thing for them is that I've been looking under the hood at '95 legacies realizing what could have been.....

Anyway, I will call them today and see what we can work out, and I will keep everyone posted.

Mike A.

from conversations with the dealer, and from info on this board, I believe a 95 motor is obd2

I talked with Rick and Emily at CCR today, and I decided that I'd like to get a legacy 2.2 intake manifold to replace the 1.8 impreza manifold on my motor at the current time. I could probably get the franken-motor setup to eventually work, but then in a year from now when I need to fix something I'll pop the hood, and have absolutely no recollection of how I made anything go together. I'd rather have a full '95 legacy 2.2 motor, that way I can just use the subaru tech manual for the '95 legacy to make any repairs.

They will find a manifold for me and ship it out when they find it. I'll post when the next chapter begins!

Mike A.