Ultimate Subaru Message Board

highly annoying problem with 93 Sub Legacy FWD wagon

Ok so in park and nuetral engine runs beautiful just a little bogging lag under 1000rpms.

When you shift into gear engine idles fine no problema there but when you try to give it gas it boggs down and almost shuts off. can slighlty touch gas and posssibly get over 1500rpmthen it runs fine again till it shifts and rpm drops. its just barely driveable but not enough for my wife to feel "safe". Ive changed MAF, Knock sensor tried swapping ecu and pther minor things. really dont want to junk the car engine runs great body is in really good condition interior and exterior. any ideas or thoughts qould be greatly appreciated. i HAVE to get this thing going before i can work on my 90 legacy sedan 5spd, which im so ready to get back on the road as well, well woods mainly but thats just the fun of it.

1000 rpm idle is too high. It should be around 700-750. Kinds sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check all of the vacuum hoses. Also check any hoses that attach to the intake tube. And make sure the intake tube isn't cracked or split anywhere between the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Another possibility is a bad ECT sensor.

I tossed some parts from my stockpile to a friend who had the same issue. I figured it was probably a fuel pump problem, but it was either the coilpack or the ignitor. Ignitor is bolted to the center of the firewall on the engine side.

He was just shotgunning parts at it much like it sounds you have been doing, but since I had a shed full of parts to pick from it wasn't costing him anything to try. It's not the right way to diagnose things, but it will eventually work.

So try a coilpack, the Diamond brand ones of the 5spd cars are supposedly better. Then try an ignitor module.

Ok so first thing this mornong i snatched the timing cover qnd harmonic balance off. First thing i noticed ws the gear on the cranck had been wore out where the keypin goes. removed both and the rod on the crank looked like someone took a hammer and a punch and smacked the hell out off it. best description i cpul come up woth. so i have three other motor and replaced the gear after taking a wizwheel and makin a ned slot in the crank rod for the key. placed new gear and key in reset the timing put back togethor and drives like a charm.