Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY lazer alignment EA82

Subruise

ok, so the front end alignment on my 2" loyale has been horrible. this is due to banging it up, then lifting it, and changing tons of parts without aligning it ever. dont do that.

ive been plagued with wheel hop (15s) and just all around not goodness in the steering/fwd department. this weekend i played around with youtube, i used string, tape measures... you name it. still scary today.

tonight, i set upon my mission: not to pay to have my car aligned. my result will, im sure, prove to be less than perfect, but my steering wheel is now straight, and it stays that way on, or off the throttle. im bummed to have stumbled upon this only after i cooked my winterforces..

i used a milk crate on each tire and some metal door frames 80" in length for their straightness. i used some 4" angle iron up against the back tire and put the "straight edge" (shaped like ]) in that for a solid line. i did the same for the front tire.....toe waaay in.

i pushed the toe out until the two frames were within 1/4" or so. heres where it gets cool/cheap: i used my laser level from a cheapo cordless drill kit and shot a line down the edge of the frame centered on the rear tire. i then measured the distance at the front and rear of the rim to the beam tape on the same size frame/plane. then i repeated on the other side. im toed in around 1/16" on each side

like i said, im sure it aint perfect. pay a shop to save your tires, its probably worth it.......

numbers will be different depending on rim size and other factor ive yet to comprehend. now if only i could master the 12 volt electrical system........

I've done several EA82 alignments with just a tape measure and have had them drive straight as an arrow......

One was 6" lifted (2" over stock), and the other is my blue car (lowered)......

Edited by obk25xt

I've done several EA82 alignments with just a tape measure and have had them drive straight as an arrow......

One was 6" lifted (2" over stock), and the other is my blue car (lowered)......

well this proves definitively that i failed with the tape measure method