Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 into BRAT

stephen115

I'm looking at a EJ25 out of a 2005 outback on craigslist. The motor needs new valves above cylinder 3. Since the engine doesn't come with the whole wiring harness for the car what can I do to get the wiring in the BRAT? also before I get too ahead of myself, will a 2005 EJ25 even fit in a BRAT? I'm looking to buy the transmission plate adapter and use the 4-speed in the BRAT until I decide where the car is going to go. Its a EA81 BRAT by the way.

Thank you

SJ

I don't think a 2.5 will fit between the framerails of the brat.

A 2.2 barely fits, and those have smaller heads.

It it will also eat the 4-speed trans for lunch.

I would recommend a 2.2 swap rather than a 2.5

2005 is a hard year to convert to also....Electronic throttle body and integrated ABS computer and a few other things make running that engine standalone tough. Unless you use older managment or aftermarket.

Since the 2.5l already needs head work, you could put used Phase 1 2.2l heads on it and it would fit in the Brat without having to mod the frame rails. Use a 97-99 Legacy Outback or GT or a 98 forester wiring harness and ECU to run it. Heads and intake manifold off a 95-98 2.2l from an auto trans Legacy or Impreza.

i run a 2.5 twin cam turbo in my 79 wagon gen 2 is the same body rails i had to porta power the rails flat to fitt but it fitts No to the 4 speed put a 5 speed in it. And find a older ej engine they are simpler and have no vvt and can be run off a older harness 89-97 wire harness seem to work best. The 2.51 single cam engine will fitt to but wireing is mutch harder on theese

The 2.51 single cam engine will fitt to but wireing is mutch harder on theese

The phase 2 single cam 2.2 and 2.5 engines can be run using the earlier management.....just have to adapt the older harness to fit the new manifold and use the older style Crank/Cam wheels and the older throttle body.  IAC is an issue, but once warmed up makes no effect.