Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1 Prong vs 2 Prong Coolant Temp Sensor

So i have a 1988 subaru that recently had a ea81 swap with a weber setup.  Everything works fine except the temp gauge.  I picked up another coolant temp sensor to see if that might work but its a 1 prong and the one in the manifold is 2 prong.  Im not sure the year of the manifold but i think its 85.  I have a 87 Factory Service Manual and the manofold in the car for SPFI and Carb are not the one that is on the car.  

1.  Am i missing another sensor somewhere.  The 2 prong is right next to the T-Stat housing.

2.  Could i use the 1 prong anyway with the 2 prong connector.

3.  I thought the 2 prong was for the computer and there was a 1 prong somewhere that just did the gauge.  

Edit:  This information may be unrelated/invalid.  I had "forgotten" that the XT is MPFI, not SPFI. :endEdit

The 88 XT FSM shows the 2-prong sensor used for guage and "ECM".  The spade connectors are arrayed in a "T"-shape, with the top of the T being for the guage.

Edited by NorthWet

I would listen to Miles before I listened to myself this morning (my brain is not all there yet).  That being said...

You can test out your wiring and gauge by grounding the connector's terminal for the gauge.  (Top of the "T" in my XT manual.)  IF this is the right connector, and IF the wiring and gauge work, then the gauge should indicate maximum reading. 

Edit:  Is the wiring harness from the EA82 chassis or the Ea81 engine?

Edited by NorthWet