Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Wagon +93 Turbo Loyale Engine?

ystrdyisgone

I have an opportunity to pick up a turbo loyale with 30k on the engine and a shot tranny for $400. If I remember correctly, the engine crossmember will be different, but other than that will everything else basically hook up? My only other thoughts and concerns are engine wiring/ecu, gas tanks, and fuel pump compatability. Any input is appreciated, thanks folks!

I will add that my current engine has 186k on it, probably needs new belts, reseal, etc, soon. I can grab good tires off this new car, as well as new seats (mine are currently shot). Overall it sounds like a good deal to me, but don't want to run into an unforseen roadblocks. 

The fact that it is turbo will allow you to swap to that frame. You will want all the wiring harness from the donor car, and an adaptor for the trans.

if using the legacy trans, you will have to modify the driveshaft, and use a matcing rear diff.

that or swap an ea82 5spd and use an adaptor plate

The fact that it is turbo will allow you to swap to that frame. You will want all the wiring harness from the donor car, and an adaptor for the trans.

if using the legacy trans, you will have to modify the driveshaft, and use a matcing rear diff.

that or swap an ea82 5spd and use an adaptor plate

He said it's a Loyale turbo motor

I may not have been clear enough in the first post. I currently drive an 87 4wd DR 5MT. I would like to put the 93 turbo ea82 from a loyale into mine. I'm guessing the transmission will mount right up, I will probably need to carry over the xmember with the turbo engine. My main concerns are how deep into wiring I will have to go.

• Like 1

AFAIK, it will be as much work as an EJ22 swap, for similar power and a huge step backwards in reliability.

Wiring will have to be modified (or pull the dash and swap the whole harness over).

Engine crossmember has to be swapped, as there is a notch for the up-pipe.

Gas tank and fuel pump will be fine (assuming the '87 is fuel-injected), for either swap.

That is crazy low miles, but I would compare that (in terms of cost of maintaining it) to an EJ22e with 150k miles. In fact, that's almost too low, as it's been sitting for so long over the last 20 years, that everything rubber in or near that car will likely be dry rotted.

Depending on your local market, I bet you can find a '90s Legacy with a 2.2 and some other issue (rust, crash, transmission, etc.) for a similar price that would be a much better candidate.

Depending on the condition of the body and such, swapping your DR into the Loyale is a MUCH better option.

Edited by Numbchux

Thanks numbchux, that was the sort of response I was looking for. Albeit not the best news, but it tells me to quit dreaming, and let my car be what it is. (until I have the time and money for an ej22 swap :D )

The miles are so low because supposedly it is a JDM pullout engine, says the seller. If I wasn't already so attached to my car, and if I could stand driving a red car, I would throw my D/R on there.

P.S.- How's the Duluth winter this year? I went to school up there for a few years, can't say I miss the bone-chilling cold of January!

He said it's a Loyale turbo motor

Sorry, i read this wrong thinking 93 ej into a turbo loyale. anyway...

you can swap the engine side harness all the way back to the ecu and dash. you would have to take off the passenger fender. You can do this without having to chop the wiring.

Yea, there was a guy a few years ago in a similar situation. Couple cars, one with a good body (non-turbo) and the other a good (turbo) motor. He ignored many warnings of the difficulties he would face. IIRC both cars ended up getting scrapped.

P.S.- How's the Duluth winter this year? I went to school up there for a few years, can't say I miss the bone-chilling cold of January!

It's been a good year. Pretty nasty cold snap (20 below daytime temps for a few days), but other than that, pretty nice. Got a bunch of snow on the ground. Been a few dry years....so it's good to see some snow.

Dangit Miles, haha I had just decided it wasn't worth the effort. Now not so sure.. If I could keep all of my interior wiring intact and just swap the engine, exhaust, and front end wiring that sounds more doable. My ea82 is carbed though, so I'm guessing I would have to swap fuel tanks, other than that it appears straightforward? I'm guessing ecu would have to be swapped too, but the dash wiring should clip right in to the turbo ecu? Maybe?

Chux, yeah there always seems to be that few day period of wayy below zero every winter. I was thankful for the tunnel system on campus during those deep chills. It's good to hear there's snow on the ground though, no sense having cold without snow if you ask me..

Not worth it.

Swap to EJ

Miles, IU believe you are wrong about being able to simply swap wiring harness.

87 Carbed vs. MPFI use totally different harnesses(espescially if it was a GL-10 turbo with the digidash.  He'd basically have to swap the entrie wiring harness of the whole car., except maybe the rear wiring.  Definately have to swap entire front harness, and dash harness.

Ej swap will be similar work, for more HP and MUCH better reliability, and modern parts available readily anywhere.