Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT sunroof replacement

Currently my XT's sunroof panel is salvageable, but its frame in the roof has rusted to the point where I'm 90% sure that it would leak heavily under anything more than the lightest sprinkle of rain (the car currently lives in a carport and I don't really want to test the theory). I'd rather be able to use it but without any viable alternatives I think I'll end up sealing it shut instead.

About the only other thread I've seen here has somebody asking for a sunroof assembly cut from the roof of a donor car. Since it'll be difficult to find a used assembly that isn't already rusted to hell, I think it'd be a better idea to enquire as to whether there may be any known avenues for replacing it with new aftermarket or custom parts, unless somebody knows of a source for an OE replacement. I mean, these things are pretty much just cut and welded in place to begin with, so it shouldn't be too ridiculous of an undertaking.

Any ideas?

There is no replacement and you are correct in that finding one in tact is going to be difficult. Blame that on the engineer who placed a trough under the front drain tubes and hinge pockets. I have fabricated and repaired sections of the halo and did an extensive write up on it with pictures on the subaruxt.com site. Search sunroof repair 101. As far as removal... You're in for a fair amount of work. The write up covers it A to Z.

Thanks for the tips. I searched "sunroof repair 101" on google and subaruxt.com and didn't come up with anything; I'll look more in-depth in the future. I figured I'd check to see if any options existed that I could research before actually diving into anything serious.

Currently the car's not in a state where I'm overly concerned with body restoral (I'm more involved with getting it to run and drive properly at the moment), so I'm just going to clean it up, quickly treat the existing rust, and then duct tape the holes in the hopes that I can block any water temporarily without resorting to the use of silicone sealant. Since I don't have the tools or facilities for extensive bodywork, I'd probably have it done by somebody else if I decided to keep the car long-term (and could find a reputable place to do it for less than $20k).