Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 93 impreza wagon. I recently switched the normal signal bulbs out for led bulbs. Since the leds draw less power, the car thinks a bulb is out and therefore causes the signals to flash very fast, almost to the point on a sunny day where they cannot be seen. I know I need a flashed relay of 5 ohm or less, however Ive stumped the guys at my auto parts store because they don't have one. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

What I need to know is if anyone knows of a part # or which flashed relay I need to get?

Just bought the heavy duty flasher relay & it made my signals go even faster. Since its part of the electrical system, I'm out the $15 I just spent on it. Any other ideas? This is frustrating, I'm about to switch back to regular bulbs, unless I install the resistors behind each led bulb :/

You got the wrong kind. You got a heavy duty thermal flasher and you need the timer style. There are also LED conversion specific flashers, but they're the same..they use an electronic timer and not a bi-metal foil. The timer style ones have a little circuit board with a couple resistors, some capacitors, a transistor or two, and a relay on it. All the ones I have seen and used are in a clear plastic case and not a round aluminum housing. I've done this conversion before too and it works.

Josh

I bought a heavy duty "electronic" flasher years ago for the same reason, but the one I bought was still a bi-metal strip style flasher. Clear plastic case an everything. Couldn't figure how they could call it "electronic" when it's still an analog style flasher. Anyway, it didnt work. If you're gonna buy one make sure it has the right guts inside. Resistors are pretty easy and you don't even need multiples. You can wire in one resistor right at the flasher and get the same effect. You would have to wire another resistor at the hazard flasher as well since Subaru uses a separate flasher.