Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1995 Impreza

crazyman03

Thought I should start a thread all about my ride - a 1995 Impreza LX EJ22, AWD, Automatic. 

I picked up this little beauty last year June/Julyish from a buddy of mine that, at the time wanted me to take the stereo out of it and put it in her husbands car. I asked what the reasoning was and she mentioned she was going to junk the Impreza. Its only issues were a blown back window due to some random passerby a-hole with a pellet gun, and a loud exhaust. I told her, heck, I'll give you junk rate for the car (I called around and found the average "tow away" price was about 350), and there I had it.. a new Impreza. 

I drove around with the back glass like that for a while and after further examination, the noisy exhaust was simply that the manifold was *not* attached on the d/s to the heads! one 10$ gasket later, VOILA! no more exhaust noise!

Since I bought it I've:

replaced the back hatch (havent painted it yet)

I lifted it 3ish inches.. nothing with tires just yet

A 2.25" exhaust from the cat-back with a muffler-delete.

High-flow air filter (hot-air intake at the moment),

CB with 125w linear and a Prediator 20k antenna up top,and a stereo/sub install.....

to come within the next few days (quite literally)

Viper 5701 Security/Remote start/1-mile range 2way remote (I got a killer deal)

8k HID's (got a decent deal on amazon)

Performing Timing belt maintance (I fix copiers for a living and drive a LOT, almost 2500 miles this year already)

P/S-Front CV Axle (thanks to ShawnW!)

New struts, I'm debating on getting forester struts or replacing the Impreza struts i already have and keep my spacers.. 

cue the free-flow of pictures!

Picture when i first got it..

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Now as it sits:

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

403022_10152412120980727_818350305_n.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Preditor 20k

297388_10152140622505727_125626004_n.jpg

Lifted:

262901_10152492028080727_1921287308_n.jp

309633_10152515330620727_1622290181_n.jp

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

I got a few new toys in the mail... well one toy and a timing kit..

560256_10152681774555727_181741458_n.jpg

and I got my alarm!

1-mile range 2-way transponder remote, remote start, double-guard shock sensor.. I also have a battery backup speaker..

560421_10152681787080727_876553595_n.jpg

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

http://frost-technologies.com/site/pictures/95%20Impreza/IMAG0025.jpg

Damned if that ain't a shot right out of the SUBARU commercial.

Got your seatbelt on?

Mirrors adjusted?

I know right?! My daughter hops in there and buckles up I had to take a picture!

everything looks very nice.  I would hope your gonna have that security system professionally installed.  waaay too many horror stories of wiring issues.  Ranging from car not starting and system wont work, to vehicle fires :/

I do know what I'm doing. I have installed (professionally) a wide range of alarms into new and old school soobies. That, and I dont just go by the schematic of what the wire does - I probe and test it too :-)

Thanks for the comments!

Just did the timing and the CV axle today. Couldn't get around to the struts today though..  But I got the alarm in (save the remote start module though, maybe tomorrow) and the timing in. 

Missed my HID's in the mail though.. Mailman dropped it off at the office and they are closed tomorrow.. maybe monday :-D

-Justin

Get rid of the cone filter and the HIDs. You're screwing up your MAF signal and blinding everyone oncoming when you have those things on. 

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

http://store.candlepower.com/trabhidki.html

Save that crap for the Honda scene.

/grumpyoldman

Otherwise, nice to see another GF back on the road!

Edited by cal_look_zero

completely agree on the hid removal, my Tacoma ran like rump roast whenever I had mine in it and when they were on, wouldn't run worth a crap at over half throttle. replaced the maf twice before one of the ebay ballasts went out and I put standards back in and all was normal again

Well, I'm not running any different at the moment and dont run with the HID's on during the day like i would normally. My fuel economy and engine tone hasn't changed (yes, I do actually know the tone of how it runs). I'm not saying bogus though, I still have the old lights just in case. 

As far as blinding, I do know about the effects of the HID's and needing adjustment. I, for now at least,  tapped off my lights to cut a horizon in, and have adjusted my lights for that reason. Seems alright so far..

-Justin

Not much progress today on the car. I went to the bone yard yesterday and picked up some new struts for it. My D/S Front was dribbling down the road so it needed to be replaced. I found a donor '99 Outback with about 160k on it. a lot of miles sure but hey, less than what i have on the car now. 

The outback struts should give me about a 2" lift over what they are sitting at now, which means i can take my spacers out and get about the same ride height. Though, I'm debating on if i want to put the spacers on the new struts and bump it up more.. I'll have to look at the axles to see how bad it'll be..

20130302_160800_resized.jpg

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

got the struts in.. It sits at about where i was with my spacers in. I did have to do some modification on the rear towers since i didnt keep my top-hats but here's the difference with struts compared. 

Stock Impreza with my spacers on Left, '99 Outback sturts on right:

20130303_104341.jpg

How i sat on stock Impreza struts with 2.5" spacers (measuring the rear) ~ 7.5"

20130303_101818.jpg

With '99 OBW Struts (measuring the rear) about 8.5"!
20130303_125735.jpg

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to do it up myself. I'm debating on where i want to position the muffler. Naturally, I'd put it behind the axles at the tail but i want a bit of a resonance with it. Though, with 2.5" going up to it, it might just have enough on its own

-Justin