Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t electrical problems

my 83 turbo has at least 4 electrical problems right now(it is not a digi dash). this is without the motor in it and a charger on the battery but motor is going in this weekend.

1.)the arrows for turn signals and four way flashers stay on all the time with no blinking but when you turn on the four way flashers or turn signals the arrows flash.

2.)the head lights are very messed up when you turn the switch for low the lights do not got on except for the side corner ones on the bezals. then when you turn it on high no lights and the relay goes off.

3.)when you turn on the heater the relay for that goes off.

4.)the 4wd does not indicate on the dash but i can hear it ingage under the car. the light went on once then slowly faded and now its not coming back on.

any help and advice is very appriciated and thank you in advance

Bad ground(s).

ok i will start with that that starting at the negitve battery cable with a multi-meter going on up to see where it goes weak. im going to use my manual if it starts taking me under the dash :angry:.

also another thing i forgot to mention is the fuse wires for the ecm is missing or it never had them and a wire for the kick down relay is gone so that might be a pain to fix. i think im going to leave the ecm wiring alone because it doesn't have any of the wiring for it but the kick down relay im a little more worried about because its half there.

i would defiantly start by checking grounds make sure you have a good chassis ground. The 4wd indicators probably wont work unless you have a ground connected to your transmission. best thing to do with wiring problems is to start at the source (the battery) and work your way up, make sure that your fusible links are good, make sure there is no corrosion anywhere. I have had to practically rewire my wagon since i have got it so i know a little about wiring problems on these older subies ;)

more than likely the majority of your problems will be outside the cab that is where the elements can get to your wiring causing corrosion and or failure. check your plugs that connect to your transmission for the 4wd indicators make sure the seals haven't failed letting moisture in. good luck wiring can be a real pain :dead:

I thought I saw that you got a wire harness off of a xt-6?? I don"t think that will work unless you need some plugs or parts....I think the ea-81turbo is more or less by itself when it comes to parts,ecu,maf......Aslo I saw that you had 2 distys and 1 was points do you want to trade or sell it?? Nate

I thought I saw that you got a wire harness off of a xt-6?? I don"t think that will work unless you need some plugs or parts....I think the ea-81turbo is more or less by itself when it comes to parts,ecu,maf......Aslo I saw that you had 2 distys and 1 was points do you want to trade or sell it?? Nate

i did get a distribuator harness off a xt6 turbo at the junk yard if thats what your referring to, and that will work i just need to cut it down to fit right once i get the engine back in maybe tomorrow :) amazingly alot off the parts on 86 xt6 turbo looked simular including the whole distribuator minus the gear shaft because it was a different length and the maf looked the same. the two distributors that are in that pic are off ea71 engines.

all the problems are fixxed :D by me going to the junkyard and picking up a factory radio with the shifter cover/radio cover in one with both ends of the connectors and installing it :) looks a thousand times better than that piece of $h*t that someone put in it that was setting off all the relays. also the radio sounds great B)